INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help requested with adding a new library  (Read 848 times)

ferrarabrainpan

• World Citizen
Help requested with adding a new library
« on: December 31, 2021, 02:56:57 pm »

I want to add a new library and retain the same settings of the main library (library views, column views, etc) in the new library but have different music from different folders in the new library (basically moving all the DSD files out of the old main library and having a separate new library for DSD only). I tried simply adding a new library and it creates a basic default list of library views which means I have to rebuild the library views from scratch that I want to keep in the new library. I then tried cloning the main library, thinking that I can simply delete the library views that I don't want to retain in the new library, and then change which folders are auto-imported, deleting the ones in the auto-import list that were cloned from the old library and adding the ones I want for the new DSD library. But when I go to configure auto-import I see no folders at all in the window where one adds or removes folders. Yet this new clone library has all the same music as the old one, and I don't want to have that music in the new library. Then I tried clearing the library in the newly created clone library and in doing so it also reverted all the library views to the basic default scheme.

Is there a way to add a new library while retaining the same library views of the old library, or a way to copy them from the old library to the new one? I'm just trying to avoid having to build all those library views again from scratch in the new DSD library.
"Let the great constellation of flickering ashes be heard..."   ~ Noel Scott Engel

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help requested with adding a new library
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 03:17:22 pm »

For the original working library with desired views, have you tried:
 View > Load / Save View > Save ...

Then for the new library:
 View > Load / Save View > (select the previously saved view)

Not sure if this will work for you, but it has saved the day many times over when my views get scrambled.  It restores all view tabs.

ferrarabrainpan

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 04:21:01 pm »

For the original working library with desired views, have you tried:
 View > Load / Save View > Save ...

Then for the new library:
 View > Load / Save View > (select the previously saved view)

Not sure if this will work for you, but it has saved the day many times over when my views get scrambled.  It restores all view tabs.

I gather that your directions work when loading a saved view within the same library, but I tried saving the entire view scheme in my main library and then loading it in the new library and it had no effect.
"Let the great constellation of flickering ashes be heard..."   ~ Noel Scott Engel

ferrarabrainpan

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 04:47:50 pm »

I actually figured out a workaround for creating library views in the new library to replicate the ones in the old library. Since most of the different library views follow an identical scheme and mainly differ in the rules for file display, I created a new view in the new library from scratch following the specs of the old view (thumbnail options, sort by) and then open the Customize View window and when I then click OK I get a popup warning me and giving me an option to save as new view, overwrite view, or discard changes. I select save as new view and it creates a new view with the same name (copy). Then I rename the copied view and edit the rules for file display in the new view. The format of most of my views is basically the same but the content differs according to the rules for file display, so one view such as "Artists" easily serves as a template for variations on that.

I am still glad to know the Load/Save view scheme thing since it will be helpful in restoring the views in the same library when they get scrambled, so thanks for that.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 05:35:00 pm »

Oh... you were so close... you just needed to do 1 more step.

After cloning the library, do a Restore Library from your existing MC library backup location, making sure the box for Restore Settings is also checked.  That would have brought all your auto-import folders back.  That said, the file paths would still need to be edited to point to your new DSD folder/file location(s).  Then in MC, sort by file type and delete all the non-DSD files from the new library location, being sure to select the option Remove from Media Library, which clears it from the new library database only, and does not delete the file itself.

I know you have solved this already, but this still may be useful info for others, and perhaps for yourself in the future.

ferrarabrainpan

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 05:50:53 pm »

Oh... you were so close... you just needed to do 1 more step.

After cloning the library, do a Restore Library from your existing MC library backup location, making sure the box for Restore Settings is also checked.  That would have brought all your auto-import folders back.  That said, the file paths would still need to be edited to point to your new DSD folder/file location(s).  Then in MC, sort by file type and delete all the non-DSD files from the new library location, being sure to select the option Remove from Media Library, which clears it from the new library database only, and does not delete the file itself.

I know you have solved this already, but this still may be useful info for others, and perhaps for yourself in the future.

To make sure I understand you correctly, in my case, I would first create a clone of the main library and rename it "DSD" and then I go into the saved libraries folder on my PC and restore the "MC Library Backup (Main Library - 2021-12-31 15-45).zip" to the new DSD library... and then the auto import folders will be visible so I can delete them and then add the new folders where I moved the DSD files (which no longer appear in the main library since I moved them today). That's good to know for the next time I add a new library, thanks.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 06:08:00 pm »

Well...  mostly right.  The whole point of doing the restore settings was to get all your previous auto-import folders/configs back as a starting point for your new library (which cloning alone did not do). That is what I understood from this statement in your OP:
But when I go to configure auto-import I see no folders at all in the window where one adds or removes folders

If you are going to just delete those folders as you stated in your last post (relevant quote below), there is no need for the extra restore settings step.  Just clone and delete the non-DSD files from then new library database as I described in my previous post.
and then the auto import folders will be visible so I can delete them and then add the new folders where I moved the DSD files

Sorry if we are talking past each other! I just want to make sure we are on the same page - your last reply made me think I may have misunderstood something.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2021, 06:40:43 pm »

You probably don't actually want a new library.  You probably just want a nice view or set of views that show your DSD files. 

Different Libraries aren't normally needed.  Just new views.  There are very few reasons to use a separate library.  Think about whether or not you might listen to media from two different libraries in the same day.  If so, you probably want views.

Brian.

ferrarabrainpan

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2021, 06:53:48 pm »

You probably don't actually want a new library.  You probably just want a nice view or set of views that show your DSD files. 

Different Libraries aren't normally needed.  Just new views.  There are very few reasons to use a separate library.  Think about whether or not you might listen to media from two different libraries in the same day.  If so, you probably want views.

Brian.

I know what you mean. I have a lot of different views in my main library and had views for my DSD files but decided to move them to a separate library, though it really isn't necessary. I do have two different DACs because my Rega DAC won't play DSD, so in order to play DSD I have them sent to my OPPO DAC which handles DSD, which requires changing the input on my amp and turning on the OPPO and selecting the USB input. Not a big deal. I guess for the sake of making a playlist I'd want to have all those files to be either PCM or DSD so it makes sense to have two separate libraries. In any case, now I have learned how to add a new library.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2021, 06:54:17 pm »

Excellent point as always Brian.  I get so wrapped up in answering a question I forget to offer alternate/better options that bypass the original request.  I have never used multiple libraries myself, nor have I found the need.  MC's ability to create a view layout that satisfies virtually any use case is vast.

A scenario where I imagine multiple libraries are useful is when you have multiple family members that have completely different tastes in music, and listen on different machines and/or zones, and only want to see their own library. But for virtually everything else, you can accomplish what you want by making a custom view and judicious use of rules, and then switch among them using tabs.  So... what Brian said... just use views ;D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up