INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zone groups and zone linking  (Read 682 times)

ferrarabrainpan

• World Citizen
Zone groups and zone linking
« on: December 31, 2021, 05:11:27 pm »

I did a forum search and looked on the wiki and did not find explicit info on how to use zone groups and zone linking. I was looking over the options in the dropdown menu for zones under the top Player tab and there are numerous options listed (including dynamic zones, what's that?)... very little info on the wiki Zones page and the links at the bottom of that page go to threads from 2008, 2010...

What I was thinking is I could make a group for PCM playback zone and PCM surround playback zone, and another group for DSD playback and DSD surround playback zone, those being the four zones I currently created with zone switching, but I don't know how to create a zone group.

Please explain what zone groups and zone linking does and how to implement it. 
"Let the great constellation of flickering ashes be heard..."   ~ Noel Scott Engel

ferrarabrainpan

• World Citizen
Re: Zone groups and zone linking
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2022, 04:51:56 pm »

Bumping this thread up in case there is someone who can explain to me the procedures and benefits of using zone groups, dynamic zones, and zone linking. There has got to be someone here who understands those features and can find time to briefly explain it to me (since it is not elucidated on the JRiver wiki page for Zones and I couldn't find answers by doing a forum search). Thanks if you can help. (And Happy New Year!)
"Let the great constellation of flickering ashes be heard..."   ~ Noel Scott Engel

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 08:26:57 pm »

Zone linking lets you play music to multiple zones at the same time.  This is intended to be used when a "zone" is set up to play to a certain place in your house like the living room or kitchen.  Play music to kitchen.  Play music to living room.  Linking these together let's you play music to living room and kitchen at the same time.

Zone groups are (apparently) a way of pre-selecting multiple zones to send audio to.  Like send audio to both living room and kitchen at the same time.  Without linking them.  This is how I read it but it's possible I have misinterpreted it.

The way you describe your zones is as playback configuration zones:  PCM in one zone, DSD in another zone.  Presumably with either different audio devices, or just different audio settings for the same device.  This is also a valid use of zones.  But in this context (playback settings for zones) zone linking and zone groups do not have any application.  There's really no benefit or usefulness of linking or grouping playback zones that are mutually exclusive.  You would not try to play PCM files to the DSD zone.  Nor would you try to play DSD to the PCM zone.

So, as far as I can understand your question, I don't think either of these features will help you with your current setup.

If you want to do multiple physical locations then zone linking and grouping might be of interest. 

Brian.

ferrarabrainpan

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 08:45:26 pm »

Zone linking lets you play music to multiple zones at the same time.  This is intended to be used when a "zone" is set up to play to a certain place in your house like the living room or kitchen.  Play music to kitchen.  Play music to living room.  Linking these together let's you play music to living room and kitchen at the same time.

Zone groups are (apparently) a way of pre-selecting multiple zones to send audio to.  Like send audio to both living room and kitchen at the same time.  Without linking them.  This is how I read it but it's possible I have misinterpreted it.

The way you describe your zones is as playback configuration zones:  PCM in one zone, DSD in another zone.  Presumably with either different audio devices, or just different audio settings for the same device.  This is also a valid use of zones.  But in this context (playback settings for zones) zone linking and zone groups do not have any application.  There's really no benefit or usefulness of linking or grouping playback zones that are mutually exclusive.  You would not try to play PCM files to the DSD zone.  Nor would you try to play DSD to the PCM zone.

So, as far as I can understand your question, I don't think either of these features will help you with your current setup.

If you want to do multiple physical locations then zone linking and grouping might be of interest. 

Brian.

Thanks, that is all I needed to know. Yet another one of MC's amazing levels of flexibility and deep array of features and parameters that I have no use for. I'm glad for zones and zone switching though!
Pages: [1]   Go Up