INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Movie Trailers Buffering and Low Quality?  (Read 2159 times)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Movie Trailers Buffering and Low Quality?
« on: January 03, 2022, 12:50:26 am »

Is anyone else having issues with movie trailers? The feature is practically unuseable for us here.

The instant playback of the trailer begins, it freezes. Then, a "buffering" message appears at the bottom of the frozen image. Then after a loong time (can be a minute or more) the trailer begins again. Quality is terrible. Then, after 30 seconds-ish, it freezes again. More "buffering". and so on...

This is the case for all trailers.

If I go to the referenced trailer via (external) browser, there is no buffering, and video is the best HD quality available.
There are no network issues at play. Everything involved is wired and very fast.

I do not use an youtube account anywhere inside (or outside) of MC.

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Movie Trailers Buffering and Low Quality?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 11:31:54 am »

post holiday bump :)

pharmtech78

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 06:00:50 am »

Experiencing the same issue, has this issue been resolved? 

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 06:34:59 am »

Trailers come from YouTube, you are at their mercy of what they allow for playback outside of their website, which is a rather low quality format lately, unfortunately.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

pharmtech78

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 06:46:04 am »

Trailers come from YouTube, you are at their mercy of what they allow for playback outside of their website, which is a rather low quality format lately, unfortunately.

I see, okay. Is there a way to add trailers locally?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 01:56:24 pm »

Extremely frustrating.

If we had a trailer available locally, and entered it's local file address, C:\ trailer\ trailer file.mkv, for example, into the trailer field in MC, could MC play that file on request?

Right now, the trailer feature in MC is unusable for us.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2022, 02:13:28 pm »

... and entered it's local file address, C:\ trailer\ trailer file.mkv, for example ...
Probably unrelated, but there's a space after C:

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2022, 02:32:06 pm »

Just my phone trying to be smarter than it needs to be!

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2022, 11:19:15 pm »

I see, okay. Is there a way to add trailers locally?

If we had a trailer available locally, and entered it's local file address, C:\trailer\trailer file.mkv, for example, into the trailer field in MC, could MC play that file on request?

Had a chance to test this, and it works. Bit of a ball-ache sourcing the trailer files (haven't decided yet if I even want all that pain), but it does work. Yay!

Anyone know any good sites for trailer downloads?

pharmtech78

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2022, 03:22:31 pm »

HD-Trailers.n
Had a chance to test this, and it works. Bit of a ball-ache sourcing the trailer files (haven't decided yet if I even want all that pain), but it does work. Yay!

Anyone know any good sites for trailer downloads?

HD-Trailers.net has quite a bit. I've used Tiny media manger to download trailers locally. Each folder of movie i have containing a local trailer downloaded by tmm and it tags -trailer at the end of the file name. Anyway to have mc to look for -trailer in the folders?   

pharmtech78

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2022, 07:50:12 am »

HD-Trailers.n
HD-Trailers.net has quite a bit. I've used Tiny media manger to download trailers locally. Each folder of movie i have containing a local trailer downloaded by tmm and it tags -trailer at the end of the file name. Anyway to have mc to look for -trailer in the folders?
Tested also and yep it works, but tagging each file...quite tedious

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2022, 01:44:59 pm »

That should be easy if you pick a standard across the board.

I was considering putting them all in a "Trailers" folder, using the same name as the movie...

I could then select all movies that have a local trailer, and edit the [Trailer] field en-masse using =path to trailer folder\[name]

Other options are available, of course...

If you have them beside the file, with -trailer appended, and they're all the same file type, you could select the ones that need it, then mass edit the trailer field like so:

=[filename (path)]\[name]-trailer.file extension of trailer

Replace the italics with the extension of your trailers. Testing one or two before going wholesale is often a good idea ;)

pharmtech78

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2022, 06:27:22 pm »

I tried a couple and seem to work. But my files contain the year. Example (1997) at the end of each file. How can i include that in the trailer field?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2022, 12:09:10 am »

If the year in the trailer filename is reflected in [Year] tag of the associated the movie, this would do that...

=[filename (path)]\[name]-trailer /([Year]/).file extension of trailer

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2022, 08:13:37 am »

Forgive my density... If we can get speedy, high quality playback via the browser, can't MC just present to YouTube as a browser and get the same service?

I have kind of accepted that this situation will never improve, so have begun the process of sourcing my own trailer files. It's slow and laborious though, and may yet fall by the wayside like some other part-finished projects I have on the go here, such as sourcing decent hi-res artist images and making sure they're all cropped nicely the same size... not visited that one for a few years now!! :D

Me, being me, just need to try and understand why something that was awesome, is suddenly unuseable, and, apparently, permanently unuseable.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2022, 10:34:47 am »

I think we figured out how to resolve the lagging issue, but it'll take a bit of work, quality will however require some more engineering, because YouTube only presents high-quality with separate audio and video streams, and we can't currently combine them.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2022, 11:01:12 am »

I think we figured out how to resolve the lagging issue, but it'll take a bit of work, quality will however require some more engineering, because YouTube only presents high-quality with separate audio and video streams, and we can't currently combine them.
Thanks Hendrik. Part of my "download my own" project has involved a Firefox "youtube downloader" plugin/extension which states the same, asking for a premium payment to combine the 1080p and higher streams for download. 720p (via that downloader) is however, freely available... At least that, if possible, would be better than the what must be 360p or lower that we are currently getting via MC.

* marko raises a glass of Australian shiraz in Hendrik's general direction :)

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2022, 11:07:41 am »

As far as I can tell, you get 720p through MC as well, its just rather overly compressed, and the lagging doesn't help.
Its the highest quality format thats delivered with combined video+audio, but pretty low bandwidth.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2022, 11:36:23 am »

Look at me me with all these "p" number references, making out like I know what I'm talking about!!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2022, 01:36:13 pm »

Look at me me with all these "p" number references, making out like I know what I'm talking about!!
Must be your birthday.
Pages: [1]   Go Up