INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Odd stuttering when using VST plugins  (Read 638 times)

kmrylander

• Junior Woodchuck
Odd stuttering when using VST plugins
« on: January 04, 2022, 03:02:50 pm »

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone will have some ideas of where to look or what might be causing this stuttering issue.  When playing standard FLAC files, whenever I use any of my previous VST plugins (Sonimus Burnley, PTEq-X, SoniEQ, various tube preamps, etc) with Media Center 28, there is an odd stuttering, almost as though the music slows down briefly or speeds up.  it can almost be imperceptible at times, and then at others it is as though it is about to cut out but doesn't.  There is no buffering going on when it happens.  It isn't constant, but can happen many times in 30 seconds, or only a few times in a song.  This never happened with Media Center 23 (my last version), though I assume it could be something in my setup.  Could there be anything in the new version that doesn't like the "older" free plugins I'm using?

My setup consists of JRiver playing FLAC files using the convolution filter to send out 7 channels via a LYNX 2B card, to run a fully active speaker system (Audiolense XO filters).  This is set up just like MC23.  I have tried the following with no effect:
     *taming windows defender with the advice from the interact forum
     *setting a larger ASIO buffer
     *I experimented with every option in Memory playback

The VST plugins work and the odd stuttering stops as soon as I uncheck them.   

None of the VSTs are critical, but most are fun to experiment with--I had used up to 4-6 at a time in MC23.  I'm curious if I can get them to work again.  Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Ken

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Odd stuttering when using VST plugins
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 03:18:57 pm »

If they're VST3, try changing the VST buffer size in Options.  Otherwise increasing the playback buffering could help.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

kmrylander

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2022, 04:37:57 pm »

Thanks Matt,

I can't seem to install the vst3 versions of any of them....JRiver keeps saying that it failed to install any of the vst3, but the .dll works.   Not sure why.

Also do you mean increasing the ASIO buffer in the Audio Device settings (from say 50 ms (recommended) to 500 ms? 

Thanks

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2022, 05:58:12 pm »

What happens if you make that increase?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

kmrylander

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 05:07:43 pm »

I spent some time trying out different buffer sizes to be sure, since the problem can be really subtle (like turning in a different direction or yawning and having the sound change ever so slightly.  At other times it speeds up/slows down).

Raising the buffer size seems to do the trick.  It's definitely an issue at the recommended 50ms and at 100ms, but at 250ms and 500ms I don't hear it.  Not sure why it's so different from MC23, but it doesn't really matter as this solves it. 

Thanks for the help.....Any ideas how to get VST3 to install?  I've used the installer from each plugin to allow it to place the files, and no matter which vst3 I try it always fails to install.

Pages: [1]   Go Up