INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speech  -  optimal encoder settings  (Read 803 times)

dobon

• Junior Woodchuck
Speech  -  optimal encoder settings
« on: March 23, 2003, 12:52:02 am »

Mp3 VBR-Normal/Low-HQ  seems to work well with good sound quality and bitrates appr. 80 +/- 10 kbs.

Any other suggestions?

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Speech  -  optimal encoder settings
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2003, 06:30:27 am »

I've encoded speech at bitrates as low as 32kbps and they sound fine to me.

Try encoding a few clips at different lower bitrates and see where the sound quality becomes unacceptable to you.

Rob

dobon

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Speech  -  optimal encoder settings
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2003, 07:31:53 am »

Thankyou. 32 kbs may work for low quality material such as broadcasts. As with music, I want the sound of the compressed file to be virtually undistinguishable from the original cd-wav file.

Low bitrate mp3 compression sounds metallic and hollow in my ears, even at 64 kbs, not to mention the 8 (!) to 48 kbs downloads offered by audiobook publishers.

I am looking for more sophisticated ways of encoding speech at lower bitrates without introducing artifacts, i.e. custom settings in Lame.

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Speech  -  optimal e
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2003, 12:45:17 pm »

Well, if 64kbps doesn't sound good to you, you probably won't be able to use MP3 to go much lower than the 70-90kbps that you're already using.

You might try searching the forums over at Hydrogen Audio, there have been a couple of recent threads on this topic.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/

Also, there is a codec called Speex that was designed specifcally as a speech encoder. Of course, the files most likely won't be playable in MJ/MC.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jfe1205/others.html

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up