INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange Files Keep Re-Appearing in Library  (Read 914 times)

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
Strange Files Keep Re-Appearing in Library
« on: January 07, 2022, 06:49:35 pm »

I keep getting 2 strange files appearing in my library:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\media\cagcat10\ELPHRG01.WAV
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\media\cagcat10\J0214098.WAV

When I try to delete them, I get this message: 'There was a problem deleting the files. Please ensure that the files are not in use....' I hit 'Cancel' for that message...and they disappear. Both files are shown as 0 KB. Can't find them in Program Files.

Any ideas?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Strange Files Keep Re-Appearing in Library
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 10:34:02 pm »

Why are you allowing MC to scan "C:\Program Files (x86)\"?

Turn that off. Only scan your media folders.

Those are temporary files created by Office web components.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 10:49:52 pm »

Why are you allowing MC to scan "C:\Program Files (x86)\"?

Turn that off. Only scan your media folders.

Those are temporary files created by Office web components.
I might be wrong, but...

I think this may be a shortcoming of that dreaded "Countdown to import" thing you get in the action window the first time you ever run MC with an empty library.

Certainly, last time I tested it (many many years ago now) it went through my entire program files folder merrily importing every audio, image and video file it found and adding those directories to auto import.

I reported it as a bad idea back then, and if it's still doing that, I still think it's a bad idea!

-marko

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 08:02:14 am »

I might be wrong, but...

I think this may be a shortcoming of that dreaded "Countdown to import" thing you get in the action window the first time you ever run MC with an empty library.

Certainly, last time I tested it (many many years ago now) it went through my entire program files folder merrily importing every audio, image and video file it found and adding those directories to auto import.

I reported it as a bad idea back then, and if it's still doing that, I still think it's a bad idea!
I agree and I don't think MC does scan Program Files directories unless you tell it to. 

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 08:54:51 am »

I agree and I don't think MC does scan Program Files directories unless you tell it to. 
I ran a test, just because, well, it's good to know for sure, right?
In my test, on Windows, MC did not scan the entire computer. It only checked the system defined Music, Images and Videos folders, and also added those three to auto-import. Much better :)

rsg will need to confirm what's going on at his/her end.

Check auto import settings in MC at Tools > Options > Library and Folders > Configure auto import
If your program files folders are included there, and you don't have a specific need for that to be, then do as RoderickGI advised and remove them from auto import.

-marko

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 09:07:11 am »

Thanks, marko.

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Strange Files Keep Re-Appearing in Library [SOLVED]
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 03:46:05 pm »

Check auto import settings in MC at Tools > Options > Library and Folders > Configure auto import
If your program files folders are included there, and you don't have a specific need for that to be, then do as RoderickGI advised and remove them from auto import.

-marko

Yes, thanks, of course. I recently bought a new computer, and in setting everything up, I didn't check Tools > Options > Library and folders > Configure auto-import...and there was the problem...a few crazy C:\ things that should not be lurking there. So, thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up