INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HTPC - Alternative to AVR PRE/PRO  (Read 2654 times)

ItSoundsNatural

HTPC - Alternative to AVR PRE/PRO
« on: January 07, 2022, 08:47:36 pm »

Hi,

I am new to this subject. Due to the pandemic, I am missing the movie experience. So I was looking at building a Home theater system. I am very skeptical about the AVR segment, I have a few questions,

1. Is it possible to build a PC that supports full Bluray multi-channel playback?
2. With the little time I spent on the JRiver media center wiki/site, my understanding is that JR-MC is capable of ripping and playing Bluray disks, am I correct on this?
3. I came across some interesting topics related to MOTU 24AO (and some other MOTU and like devices) devices and using it to feed multiple amplifiers if understood this correctly. 
Is it possible to use a PC and use MOTU 24AO like a multi-channel pre-amp to feed external power amplifier(s)? , My target is to build a 7.2.4 Dolby ATMOS/DTS-X setup

Appreciate any advice/guidance on this subject.

Thanks!

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: HTPC - Alternative to AVR PRE/PRO
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 12:31:21 am »

I can help with a couple of your questions (but not the ones about the MOTU)

1. Yes, but only up to 7.1 without an AVR.  MC will decode and can output up to 7.1 Audio to external devices.  If you want any of the Bitstream Formats for Atmos etc, you will need an AVR to do the decoding.

2. MC supports the playback of both unencrypted FHD and UHD Blu-ray.  You will need 3rd party progs like MakeMKV or AnyDVD to do the decryption, both of which work fine with MC.
JRiver CEO Elect

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 02:16:33 am »

Pro audio interfaces like the Motu can be used but only really useful for active multi way setups without the immersive content (for reasons jmone states)

ItSoundsNatural

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 10:39:08 am »

I can help with a couple of your questions (but not the ones about the MOTU)

1. Yes, but only up to 7.1 without an AVR.  MC will decode and can output up to 7.1 Audio to external devices.  If you want any of the Bitstream Formats for Atmos etc, you will need an AVR to do the decoding.

2. MC supports the playback of both unencrypted FHD and UHD Blu-ray.  You will need 3rd party progs like MakeMKV or AnyDVD to do the decryption, both of which work fine with MC.

@jmone, Thanks for shedding light on this, so to understand a little deeper, is it due to a hardware restriction? , I am trying to understand the technical limitation of abling only 7.1 but nothing beyond.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 10:59:32 am »

@jmone, Thanks for shedding light on this, so to understand a little deeper, is it due to a hardware restriction? , I am trying to understand the technical limitation of abling only 7.1 but nothing beyond.
there is no available decoder for atmos or dts-x

ItSoundsNatural

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 11:30:40 am »

there is no available decoder for atmos or dts-x

Thanks, @Mattkhan! , I found a few more interesting details here https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=122146.0 /

I kinda felt like Trinnov/Storm audio/controlaudio is doing this via PC x86 like H/W. so there is a licensing fee/specs like know/how publicly available knowledge is restricting this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up