INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 10 seconds for buffering on fast switch between files - Apparent DSP Issue  (Read 822 times)

jack wallstreet

• Citizen of the Universe

Since I switched computers to a faster Win 10 machine, I have a frequent (but not always) buffering problem when I am comparing the sounds of different files.  In my workflow for comparing files, I have always done a fast switch between a song that is playing and the one I want to hear (I don't press stop but rather double click the song I want to hear).  Normally the song immediately switches, but relatively frequently the new song buffers for 8 to as much as 10 seconds before it starts playing.  If I press stop first and then play the new song (as fast as I can), there is no buffering.

1. The problem is not a secondary antivirus as I de-installed my virus software leaving only Windows defender (I am going to do the exclusions as part of my try to fix the buffering problem that I didn't used to have the buffering problem (even with Norton and Windows Defender and no exclusions)
2. The music is on a fast internal SSD.  Very straightforward
3. I do not have any other issues playing music.  Just the fast switch between songs that are in the player

Any thought other than Windows defender that I should look at.   The buffering is not short - it literally is 8 to 10 seconds and no buffering if I press stop first
John

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: 10 seconds for buffering on fast switch between files while playing
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 01:01:16 pm »

Can you test using SSRC vs SoX for resampling?  Options > Audio > Settings > Use SoX for resampling

Please let me know.  Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jack wallstreet

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 01:24:34 pm »

Matt, I checked the SoX box (It was unchecked) and tested - Made no observable difference.  I restarted before I retested.  It does not happen every time, but it does happen consistently
John

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 01:34:46 pm »

I haven't been able to reproduce.  Does changing the track change options (don't play silence, mode, etc.) make any difference?

I cross-fade in my setup.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jack wallstreet

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2022, 07:41:39 am »

I have made significant progress on detecting the issue and it is apparently DSP "output format" that is causing 10 second buffering.  I had accidently checked the output format box.  As far as I know, nothing was set in the output format dialog box: Output format is set to none, sample rate is all nominal (as far as I know), channels are 2 channels with JRSS mixing and JRSS subwoofer (120 hz low-pass).

When I uncheck the output format box, I am unable to reproduce the 10 second buffering (things work fine) - every once in  a while, I'll see the word "buffering" flash, but it is maybe 1/4 second.  If I check the output box, I will periodically get the 10 second buffering.  This is consistently reproducible on my machine when fast switching between songs in the player.  I don't use output format, so it is not a problem to leave unchecked, but I wasn't sure whether this is a bug of some kind, so I thought I would report it to you.
John

Sauzee

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2022, 10:34:08 am »

I can confirm the same issue and the same solution worked for me, ie. unchecking output in dsp & output format options.
I've had this slow to begin playback problem for ages and had assumed it was a slow HDD, but by unchecking output box, staring audio playback is almost instant.

It's obviously just a short-term fix because i need to use output options. Any thoughts?
Pages: [1]   Go Up