INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to send 5.1 through hdmi on pc to audio extractor and then optical to AV r  (Read 1080 times)

mschneid

• World Citizen

I have a nearly identical problem in extracting 5.1 audio from a PC hdmi output as described in this jriver thread
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=128489.0
The fundamental difference is that I am using an hdmi audio extractor that has three settings.  TV.... Bitstream ... 2 channel.    The monoprice device is speced to output LPCM 2CH    LPCM 5.1  (I assume bitstream setting) and Dolby Digital 2/5.1CH.  ( I assume TV setting)  The video from the pc is passing through just fine.    One set of  settings that I tried managed 2 channel stereo to the receiver.   JRiver showed 5.1 input and output of 2 channel for the music video file.
Wer's suggestions are not working for this setup. 

Two video devices are connected, the tv through the extractor to the tv and the avr by optical and another non audio monitor.  I am running Win 11 and jriver 28

the PC has a Nvidea gforce GTX 1650 card.  Those forums note that nvidea won't output 5.1 lpcm and that their driver sees the TV as a 2 channel device and so that is what it sends...2 channel Dolby???   The last workaround by a user suggested downloading a Dolby atmos driver for windows and that would allow extraction of a 5.1 audio optical out from that multichannel output. ??

So, I can set it up as 5.1 or  source number but the instant you play the file it reverts to 2 channel.  The output is padded to 24bits and 48k by JRiver.

Can JRiver bypass the nvidea driver and force Dolby 5.1 out of the hdmi? and what should I try?  Thanks

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!

Quick test.  This outputs DD 5.1 over HDMI for me. 
JRiver CEO Elect

mschneid

• World Citizen

Yes, that seemed the way to go for me as well.  ... What I get is a fatal error of  referenced memory.  The memory could not be read.
 both exits bomb the program.

So,  after some hunting... Nvidia has a non gamer set of drivers and a new driver for hd audio. 
Now, everything seems to work properly.  And yes, selecting dolby digital sends the audio stream to the extractor where the audio extractor set to bitstream grabs the data and sends  an optical stream to the AVR which decodes dolby digital or dts..   The AVR indicates 5 channels even if the source is 2 channels.

I have no idea what to even try.
Bottom line...its a good solution for a legacy AVR without hdmi to at least give you  5.1 audio at 640 kbs
Pages: [1]   Go Up