INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using two equalizers at one time. A good idea or a bad one?  (Read 1274 times)

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
Using two equalizers at one time. A good idea or a bad one?
« on: January 23, 2022, 09:56:52 am »

I use the parametric EQ2 equalizer and have set up four bands.  I also need to implement a form of master volume control to increase the overall level of the outputted audio over USB to my DAC.  I currently also have the standard equalizer engaged set to flat except for the overall level setting which in set to about +7dB.  My question is, although it works to have these two functions engaged at the same time, is there a downside, audible or not, that would preclude me from wanting to do so?  I would have done it all with the parametric equalizer but could not find an overall gain control for that one.

Thanks for your thoughts!

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Re: Using two equalizers at one time. A good idea or a bad one?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 03:17:32 pm »

Why not just use the 'Adjust the volume' filter in PEQ? Just apply it to all the channels you use. It's what I use.
Apply a gain of +7db to all the channels required.
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 03:49:00 pm »

Makes sense to me now that I know I can do that!  Thanks for the tip!

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 05:32:23 pm »

You're welcome. The filters are all described here in the Wiki: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Parametric_Equalizer
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 09:02:43 am »

It works as expected and thanks again.  The one thing I did notice is that with my combination of parametric equalizations at 7khz and 100hz and the +5dB volume setting at times the clip protection indicator is hitting 100%.  I am assuming that when it hits 100% MC is "destructively" limiting the output "waveform" (digital bits) introducing distortion.  I can correct that with volume leveling but, of course, that knocks the volume back down.

This, like life itself, is probably a series of trade-offs..........  I suspect in the end I will opt for not running the system into clipping and just live with the preamp's volume control farther clockwise than I would like.

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 09:28:26 pm »

Are you using 'Internal Volume' (Options>Audio>Volume>Volume mode)?
I have a modest +5db of additional gain and at least one filter that boosts by +4.5db and I am only seeing 'Peak level' at around 6% with a very healthy output from the loudspeakers (MC volume slider set to about 66%).
Using anything other than 'Internal volume' will compromise quality and available headroom.

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 04:25:17 am »

I am currently using System Volume with the volume at 100 percent.  I do this because I don’t use the the computer’s volume at all because the computer’s USB feeds into the Denafrips Terminator Plus the analog outputs of which go to my preamp which controls the system volume.  I will try Internal Volume and, possibly, Disabled Volume as well.  Bottom line for me is I am looking for maximum undistorted output from the dedicated HTPC feeding the preamp.  Does Internal Volume bypass any and all volume control changes the HTPC could possibly invoke?

Thanks, again, for all the advice!

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 06:50:30 am »

Set Options>Audio>Audio Device to [WASAPI], set Audio Device>Device settings: Select 'Open device for exclusive access' & 'Maximize device volume during playback' and use 'Internal volume' as described above. This will bypass all Windows system audio mixer functions and give highest quality playback.

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 08:46:11 am »

Hi.  The Denafrips T+ DAC comes with a custom driver called "Vinshine DENAFRIPS USB DAC (ASIO)" which I have currently installed and am using.  There is the option of selecting a "DENAFRIPS USB DAC (WASPI) as well as several others.  The Vinshine ASIO driver has the ability to select the corresponding windows device for volume control (currently set to automatic which is probably why it chose "system volume" control at playback)

Are you saying that I should switch to the DENAFRIPS USB DAC (WASPI) driver instead of the "bespoke" one that I am using and then setting it for exclusive access, Maximize device volume and Internal Volume etc?  At that point I am assuming that the volume slider on MC will be maxed out but will confirm it once I start playing with the WASPI driver.

Take care!

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 04:52:00 pm »

You don't need to use WASAPI if you have an ASIO driver, this should also bypass the Windows mixer but I'm not familiar with that particular DAC/software so I can't really comment. I was giving generic advice to a generic question.
Why don't you try a few things yourself to see what gives you the best results.
Oh, and no the WASAPI 'Maximize volume' sets the Windows volume to maximum during playback not MC's volume. I am also not aware of any software/driver that sets MC options such as 'Volume Mode'.
My main observation was that you were complaining about lack of headroom and clipping and that is not what I see on any of my MC installations.

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 05:44:31 am »

Thanks for the suggestions and the help because I've learned a lot more about MC than I did previously.

I've decided to stick with the ASIO driver but will play with the various settings for the Volume Mode as suggested.  I downloaded a couple of 0dBFS pink and white noise file samples and will adjust the volume as necessary to prevent any of those peaks running up to 100% for any more than a single captured event over a 30 second period.  That should insure that any music I have will not run the system into clipping.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2022, 08:24:31 am »

Why do you feel the need for increased output from your DAC?  It seems to produce a nice strong output (2.2VRMS via RCAs).  Do you maybe have parametric EQ that is doing cutting (lowering volume) and you are compensating?

Or do you have a passive preamp and an amplifier that isn't very sensitive?  I ask because digital volume manipulation always comes with a risk of clipping, as you have seen.  It's best to avoid it whenever you can.

Brian.

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2022, 08:50:42 am »

Good question and I am not so sure any more.  All my music resides on a NAS and all files have been "analyzed".  My HTPC feeds the Denafrips T+ DAC via USB and the DAC feeds the XLR balanced inputs of the combination preamp and headphone amp the balanced outputs of which feeds my power amps.  I then started playing with both both "Volume Leveling" and "Adaptive Volume" selecting them both because I wanted reasonable volume across a wide variety of song titles in some play lists I have.   Enabling both of those functions knocked the volume back to where I never get close to clipping (60% to 65% on peaks) even on the 0dBFS white and pink noise tracks I've got.

As it stands now, I've got PE2 set for a -4dB change in volume on both channels across the board, one +7dB parametric eq at about 7kHZ and another set at about +4dB at around 200hz if I remember correctly.  As mentioned, this setup no longer hits anywhere near clipping due and the volume out of the preamp is "nearly" satisfactory but I'd like a tad more just in case.  I may consider turning off the -4dB volume setting for a while and monitor what happens.

Maybe I was "wrapping myself around the axel" with all of this and if you've got additonal recommendations about what I should or shouldn't be doing with my current setup I'd love to hear. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up