INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The computer restarts by itself while watching a movie [Solved]  (Read 1495 times)

lello

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
The computer restarts by itself while watching a movie [Solved]
« on: January 24, 2022, 11:46:46 am »

For some days now it has happened to me that while watching a movie, the computer restarts by itself: does it happen to someone else? It has already happened to me 4/5 times.

I'm on v100

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
Re: The computer restarts by itself while watching a movie
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 12:07:25 pm »

Could be overheating or your PSU isn't supplying enough power to your GPU, check your temps/fans and provide your PSU/GPU specs.

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 12:44:48 pm »

The htpc is located in a room behind the HT room, not heated and these days the temperature is quite low.

I have a 500W PSU that powers an RX580.

The fan speed is set manually on the AMD panel, at 50% starting from about 40 °

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 01:18:29 pm »

The htpc is located in a room behind the HT room, not heated and these days the temperature is quite low.

I have a 500W PSU that powers an RX580.

The fan speed is set manually on the AMD panel, at 50% starting from about 40 °

The ambient temp is nearly irrelevant to the temperatures of your components (check Windows Task Manager performance monitor to watch temps as you playback a movie). 500W PSU for an RX580 build is very borderline and that GPU is a heater. You are either running out of watts or something is overheating. Usually your components will throttle under thermal stress and the sudden shutdown makes it sound more like a PSU failure. But check your temperatures first before troubleshooting your PSU just to rule it out.

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 01:29:17 pm »

Yesterday I watched a movie for about 2 hours, and everything went smoothly with the GPU temperature not exceeding 57 ° C. Today, after about 10 minutes, I inserted the subtitles, and the PC restarted. After a few minutes I tried to skip a chapter, and the pc restarted again.

Tomorrow I try to reinstall the V94

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022, 01:40:31 pm »

You may want to open the Windows Event Viewer, then Windows Logs -> System, and scroll down to the timestamp of the crash. See if there are any events about an "unexpected restart" or "bugcheck". You may find something like this in the event description:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000024 (0x00000000001904fb, 0xfffff880035c56e8, 0xfffff880035c4f40, 0xfffff80002e778d2).
A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 073111-28329-01

That error code is an indication of what caused the PC to crash, and may or may not be easy to fix. For instance 0x24 (NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM) can usually be fixed with some simple commands, but can also indicate a failing hard drive. Other errors point to a specific Driver like the Display or Network driver, which would then need to be updated.

If there's instead an "Unexpected restart", then it's usually an hardware problem like bad RAM, GPU or PSU, or just your cat hitting the Reset button. The problem is never an application like MC - it may just be that MC is stressing the component that is failing on your PC, simply because it's the most used app on that PC or because it's the one that is using the failing part.

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2022, 01:52:32 am »

I am open Windows Event Viewer, and this is one of several critical errors: is it serious?

Code: [Select]
Nome registro: System
Origine:       Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Data:          26/01/2022 16:11:48
ID evento:     41
Categoria attività:(63)
Livello:       Critico
Parole chiave: (70368744177664),(2)
Utente:        SYSTEM
Computer:      HTPC
Descrizione:
Riavvio del sistema senza un regolare arresto. Questo errore può essere causato da un'interruzione, un arresto anomalo o un'interruzione dell'alimentazione imprevista del sistema.
XML evento:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />
    <EventID>41</EventID>
    <Version>8</Version>
    <Level>1</Level>
    <Task>63</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2022-01-26T15:11:48.0360240Z" />
    <EventRecordID>62006</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>HTPC</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
    <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
    <Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
    <Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
    <Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">1</Data>
    <Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">false</Data>
    <Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>
    <Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV2">0</Data>
    <Data Name="LongPowerButtonPressDetected">false</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2022, 02:40:39 am »

That's the "unexpected reboot" variant, and it almost certainly points to an hardware problem (or your cat).
Start by checking your CPU temperature (most likely), GPU temperature, and you may also try a new PSU. If it persists, you may need some IT assistance to do a proper diagnosis.

In some old houses with bad wiring or bad electrical ground, the power fluctuations sometimes cause these reboots as well, and as computers age they become more sensitive to it. In this case you would probably already know that your wiring is not ideal as you would also experience other issues around the house... but the fix would be simple - just add an UPS (battery) or a ground isolator before the computer plug.

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2022, 04:56:00 am »

The building where the room is located was built two years ago and the grounding, on my specific requests in anticipation of the construction of the HT room, was made in a workmanlike manner.

I will follow your advice, constantly monitoring CPU and GPU.

Actually I had already planned to get a power supply of at least 650W in anticipation of the purchase of a more performing GPU, but the current situation of the video card market certainly does not encourage me to take this step.

Wheaten

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2022, 08:18:43 am »

There are no errors before this one? as this is only the message during the reboot that the shutdown was not done in a friendly manner.

lello

• MC Beta Team

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2022, 11:50:51 pm »

How old is the PSU and do you have another one to swap as a test?  I've found that all sorts of weird stuff like this was down to the PSU playing up.
JRiver CEO Elect

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2022, 03:08:33 am »

I don't remember exactly how old she is, but certainly over 10 years old. However, consider that since it is HTPC, I only use it to watch movies or listen to music with JRiver.
For 2 years now, since I retired, I have used it 1/2 hours a day while before only on weekends.

I plan to change it along with mobo, CPU and ram, but I'm afraid I won't be able to copy the current HD image to the new hardware, and it would be a shame because it took me years to get a real HTPC functional. :(

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2022, 05:16:04 am »

She has had a good run but it's time. 

Preserving your "HD Image" is not that hard, and you have a few options:
- Plug the existing HDD into you new hardware and Windows will recognise the new HW and add what it needs (this mostly works but is not a 100% guaranteed way of upgrading HW but I've never had an issue doing this).
- Same as above but clone your HDD to an SSD first (gives you a backup as your old HW still works and you have the new an improved SSD going forward)
- Build a new PC with a fresh Windows Install.  Copy all your media from the Old PC to the New PC, then do a MC Library Backup on the old PC, transfer it to the new PC and do a MC Library Restore.

FYI - I'm still running an old HTPC based on a "Shuttle" that is also getting on but I've already had to replace the PSU.
JRiver CEO Elect

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2022, 01:27:53 am »

You were right, the problem was the power supply.

Days ago I bought a 750W Corsair (the difference with the 650W was minimal) and so far I haven't had any problems.

Let's hope so :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up