INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting data point  (Read 1460 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Interesting data point
« on: March 19, 2003, 03:32:05 pm »

Tonight I put new batteries in my Garmin GPS and set it on the windowsill to let it listen to satelites until it knew where it was.  This usually takes about five minutes.

Tonight after thirty minutes, and a lot of trial and error, it couldn't locate its position.

I don't know what it means, but it is curious.

MachineHead

Re: Interesting data point
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2003, 03:41:37 pm »

Walk around the house once.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2003, 03:43:03 pm »

>> I don't know what it means, but it is curious.
they may have:

I don't know if anyone knows this but they can encript the GPS info, and only the military can use it at that point.

The military has what they call a encription Fill for the GPS that will allow the Military GPS to work in secure mode.

at this point all Civ GPS units will not work or will not display the correct Lat\Lon or military grid system.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2003, 04:06:37 pm »

at this point all Civ GPS units will not work or will not display the correct Lat\Lon

They told us at surveyor's GPS school that you can obtain a code for the day that you can get good results but you have to call ... somebody - I fell asleep ... to get it and it's only good for a few hours before they change it again.

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

sraymond

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2003, 05:02:41 pm »

Take a look at http://www.spacedaily.com/2003/030318154133.7p1uva5u.html

There's also something at http://www.geostrategy-direct.com/geostrategy-direct/, but you'll need to sign in to see it.

There have been numerous NOTAMs issued regarding this.  You can check rec.aviation.piloting for specifics.

Scott-

P.S.  It's great that there have been no anti-war threads on INTERACT.  I can't say the same for most of Usenet.

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2003, 07:02:23 pm »

P.S.  It's great that there have been no anti-war threads on INTERACT.  I can't say the same for most of Usenet.

Hmmm... Cant say that I find the concept of no anti war threads 'GREAT' at all...

Just a bit of personal belief... I think Saddam presents a stability risk to the region and in turn worldwide... I agree that his removal from power will probably improve the regions safety (though globally what this does to perceptions of the US, true or not, is a crap shoot and a dangerous one at that)... I dont see any evidence to connect this current excersize with any 'axis of evil' terror orgainzations and in turn that makes me question the motives and wonder if perhaps Bush Jnr feels a war president is a way to popular approval...

I initially was behind the US efforts but my thinking has changed as it has appeared to become far more personality driven...

I also think that the continued bickering and self serving causes of UN states is pitiful... I consider the actions of the French Government (NOTE Not french persons, even though the do vote for Chirac and nearly god forbid Le Pen... That says a lot... Blown up any / Greenpace boats / Pacific atolls / etc lately ??) bordering on dispicably narrow minded and purposefully arrogant and contrary to ANY solutions...

If this is an ant war post you can be the judge... Lets just hope that the absolute minumum of casualties on both sides is achieved.  

No one seems to even mention the US fiscal repurcussions of an even that (so I have read) current estimates say will cost 200 Billion simply for the troop / armamant movements there and back again and 90 for the first 30 days... With the US deficits spiraling out of control while the global recession deepens I wonder how this will have a real world effect on the current single superpower over the next 10 years... Nature abhors a vacum...
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2003, 07:13:42 pm »

Is it too sensitive an issue to be able to smile at it ??

War humor link from AVS...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=239626
HTPC Front ends  

sraymond

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2003, 07:14:22 pm »

Well, I guess I deserved that...  I should have kept my thoughts to myself.

I'll only say this:  I very rarely see a Usenet discussion that changes people's minds.  Lines are almost always drawn at the beginning of the conversatoin and the discussion is nothing more than a futile attempt to get others to see things the way you do.

Ooops...  I'll say one more thing:  The (mostly) young men and women serving in our military deserve our most gracious appreciation for volunteering to defend our country - even if you, I, or they don't agree with our Commander-in-Chief.  They are all true heros.

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2003, 07:26:00 pm »

100 % agreed...

The forces executing the effort are doing so in the firm belief that what they are doing is right and are brave to put themselves at risk to protect others... Thats a very seperate issue from the machinations that make the war...
HTPC Front ends  

Phydeaux

• World Citizen
  • No comment... ;)
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2003, 11:06:11 pm »

Jim,

About your GPS: I own a Garmin eTrex Legend -- my favourite toy (apart from my phone, my camera and my USB flash drive! -- life is complete...).

Because there is a war on, Selective Availability might be turned "on" which means that the US military can use the GPS system, but us civilians can't. I haven't tried my GPS for a while now... I will do when I get home though.

Rather inconsiderate, if you ask me!!

I was under the impression, though, that under Selective Availability, you should still be able to use your GPS but that the accuracy would be around 100ft instead of the usual 10 or so. Will have to check when I get home!!

P.
"Evil will always triumph over Good because Good is dumb." -- Spaceballs

nila

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2003, 02:11:11 am »

Phat - I actually agree with the French's point of view (I'm english living in England).
They didn't say they wouldn't support anything.
What they said is that they wouldn't support any new law that was created purely to give the US and UK grounds to attack (ie create a law that Saddam was already breaking so they could instantly use that as a legal excuse to attack).
And I see nothing wrong with that.
Why should anyone allow a law to go through that is purely a front to give someone legal grounds to go to war.
Bogus!
Pages: [1]   Go Up