INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Card Question  (Read 678 times)

Smack

• World Citizen
Video Card Question
« on: January 25, 2022, 06:47:28 am »

For Luma, we are introducing 2 new algorithms:

- RAVU (Rapid and Accurate Video Upscaling), a balanced image scaler with decent performance, especially on modern GPUs which support Compute. This is a safe default most people with any dedicated graphics card can likely run, and it produces quite good results.
- FSRCNNX, in an 8 neuron and 16 neuron configuration. "Fast Super-Resolution Convolutional Neural Network" is an advanced scaler based on a deep neural network, which rivals other state-of-the-art upscaling algorithms. Of course quality comes at a cost, and running FSRCNNX requires rather good hardware - especially the 16 neuron variant.

Will this 2 features run on an RTX 3060TI (or 3060 - 3050)? If not what would be the recommended GPU be (since they are now almost more expensive like gold ;)).

Is it comparable to MadVR Upscaling Quality??

Smack

• World Citizen
Re: Video Card Question
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 01:34:08 am »

Could someone please answer my question. Right now I’m want to build my htpc and I do need to know which gpu I have to choose. Would be amd also work? So what would be the lowest spec to run a scaler with a quality like madvr and dynamic tonemapping?
Upscale from Blu-ray to 4K.

lello

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2022, 01:44:07 am »

AMD is fine, I have a RX580 and I get a good tonempapping with JRVR but a little less with madvr which requires more resources.

If video cards with costing that much, I would have already upgraded to an RX 6600 or better still 6700.

If you could use an integrated GPU instead, it would be ideal because it would save a lot of money.

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2022, 04:08:44 am »

Rereading the various posts, I seem to understand that with JRVR, unlike madvr, you don't need a dedicated GPU but the one integrated into the CPU is fine too: can anyone confirm this?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2022, 06:04:37 pm »

YMMV, but From my testing:
- iGPU is fine for HDR Passthrough
- Discreate GPU will be needed for HDR Tonemapping to SDR
JRiver CEO Elect

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2022, 07:47:19 pm »

I've been able to tonemap without issues on a 5600G.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2022, 07:54:10 pm »

FWIW, I found that on my NUC7/NUC8 I could not tonemap High Frame Rate content (eg 50/60fps) without dropping frames. 
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up