INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature request - Detect/show HDR format in video stream  (Read 763 times)

Plutotype

• Recent member
Feature request - Detect/show HDR format in video stream
« on: January 28, 2022, 12:57:05 pm »

Hi folks,
As we canīt get Dolby Vision HDR and HDR10+ playback off a PC, it would be nice to know what HDR format contains the video stream/folder structure. If this would be possible, then it would be also useful to include the HDR format information in the title information, plus have it in coloumns like video height, codec, size - for sorting purposes/information.
Thanks
Pluto

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: Feature request - Detect/show HDR format in video stream
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 12:09:04 am »

Have a look at "Swag of Tools"  & the MediaInfo part.  It generates a MediaInfo txt file then populates data from this into MC (you have to create the Library Fields).  The latest beta is in the 2nd last page of that thread.  FYI, in SOT/Media Info I use the following settings:

Enter Fields in MC to Update: Subtitles;Color range;Color primaries;Transfer characteristics;Matrix coefficients;Mastering display color primaries;Mastering display luminance;HDR format
Enter Media Info Data Field to Collect: Subtitles;Color range;Color primaries;Transfer characteristics;Matrix coefficients;Mastering display color primaries;Mastering display luminance;HDR format
Enter Sec into video to measure Crop Factor: 400
JRiver CEO Elect

Plutotype

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 10:51:40 am »

Thanks. This is ok, but not what the customer wants.  :)
How complex it would be to get this functionality integrated into JRiver?

greynolds

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 07:24:30 am »

I would also like to see JRiver populate at least a single library field that indicates if the file is HDR or not as it would potentially be useful to use for automatic zone switching.  There's a fairly long standing defect in MadVR where it stays stuck in HDR mode once you play a HDR file, requiring a reboot to get back to normal.  The workaround, for now, is to use the JRVR instead of MadVR, but it might be ideal to be able to use Zone Switch to use a JRVR zone for HDR material and a MadVR zone for non-HDR material, at least while development continues on JRVR.  Having to use external tools to populate this data really isn't an ideal solution.

In my case, the most important thing to know is if the media is going to switch my output to HDR when the media is played (either with MadVR or JRVR), so I would be satisfied with a boolean field.  Ideally, it would be nice to know the format (HDR10, Dolby Vision, etc.) so icons can be displayed in Theater View, but that's a much lower priority, at least for me.  I realize that Dolby Vision playback isn't supported on PC's yet.

Given that JRVR will supports switching the HDR mode, it seems as though it ought to be possible for the JRiver library to automatically obtain at least the boolean field to indicate the file is HDR.

Plutotype

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2022, 04:43:53 pm »

For me the reason is different. If the movie contains Dolby Vision HDR or HDR10+, I would turn on my OPPO and play it from there. But JRiver does not tell me this information and I watch the movie in base HDR10.

greynolds

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2022, 04:50:56 pm »

For me the reason is different. If the movie contains Dolby Vision HDR or HDR10+, I would turn on my OPPO and play it from there. But JRiver does not tell me this information and I watch the movie in base HDR10.
Makes sense - a single field would be sufficient for that as well, just not as a boolean.  A field that has values of SDR, HDR10, HDR10+, or DV (or DolbyVision) would probably work for both of us and most other people as well.  More info is fine, of course, but something basic would be a great start.
Pages: [1]   Go Up