INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SOLVED MC28: I cannot have the Convolver working as expected  (Read 1006 times)

AndreaT

• World Citizen
SOLVED MC28: I cannot have the Convolver working as expected
« on: January 30, 2022, 03:12:15 pm »

Hello, I setup DSP Studio as 2ch in 5.1 container and so on.
Then I tried both 2ch and 6ch WAV IR EQ generated from REW 5.20.4.

But the 2ch WAV doesn't do any correction at all, but the contrary, I got a worse output, and the 6ch WAV cannot be played because it is killing my PC or MC28 itself (100% cpu usage reported and the audio output has micro-interruptions).

I am ready to share the DSP Preset and the WAV I used/created.

Thanks and regards, Andrea

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC28: I cannot have the Convolver working as expected
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2022, 03:33:07 pm »

What are you playing? And what hardware, particularly CPU?

I don't understand the use of a 2 channel wav with 6 channel output, probably sharing the files and DSP config will help.

AndreaT

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2022, 11:48:01 pm »

Hello mattkhan,
the CPU is a 2GHz Intel T7300 duo core.

I tried to attach the DSP Presents, but Interact Forum told that it is not allowed to attach .dsp files (now retrying in a ZIP)

Regarding the "sense" of using a 2ch WAV, it is the best (less resources consuming) for a stereo system where the 5.1 container is just used for managing the 3-way stereo (3x2) active amplifiers.
I always do so in DAW (Cantabile) and in Foobar2000 as well: I apply the Convolver to the stereo source (so only 2ch) before splitting and elaborating it to get the the 6ch 3-way stereo output.

Thanks and regards
Andrea

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 03:14:09 am »

pls note https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Convolution#Using_a_Single_Filter

The file must map 1:1 to the supplied channels, e.g. if sending 8 channel output then the file must contain 8 channels, one for each input channel.

a 2 channel wav in this situation will not work

I would have thought the convolution dsp screen should say something like "file invalid", doesn't it?

convolution is disabled in one of the attached DSP files which would also explain why it is not doing anything, can you share the wav files too?

AndreaT

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2022, 03:30:34 am »

Hello mattkhan,

the DSP Studio accepted also the 2ch WAV.
And, as I wrote, I tried to test also the 6ch WAV, but it was killing the CPU (100% usage). Impossible to use it.

Herein attached the 2ch WAV and the 6ch WAV for your reference.

Regards
Andrea

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2022, 04:16:25 am »

the DSP Studio accepted also the 2ch WAV.
what does "accepted" mean in this context exactly?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2022, 04:23:30 am »

the wav file looks more like a room response than a convolution filter, it's also unnecessarily long as it is ~2.75s long with 1s of leading silence. What is the filter meant to contain/do?

AndreaT

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2022, 04:24:00 am »

Hello mattkhan,
please, see the attached screenshot. It is the DSP Studio while playing 2ch Stereo into 5.1 Transport with 2ch WAV convolver.

MC28 did not reported any error and played it.

Regards
Andrea

AndreaT

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2022, 04:37:58 am »

Hello mattkhan,
regarding the WAV file, yes, I made a mistake now when going to replicate the DSP Studio set-up to take the screenshot.

Here in attachement the effective WAV filter I used (in my opinion it looks long the same...).

Regards, Andrea

AndreaT

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2022, 06:07:23 am »

Hello mattkhan,
I understood the problem with the 2ch WAV file for convolver, I made a mistake in REW and I exported the wrong filter WAV (other JRiver set-up).

I now loaded in JRiver convolver the correct WAV filter and the corrections took place (in attachment the correct WAV).
However, contrary to what is written on your help and you confirmed, I am using only a 2ch WAV filter.

I measured the response and it is really corrected. So, it looks that your DSP doesn't really need WAV file having exactly the same number of channels as the output transport.

Now it is working but I am worrying about if it just a case or what else...

Regards,
Andrea

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2022, 08:18:53 am »

Well if it works, it works :) probably the wiki page needs updating in that case

AndreaT

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2022, 09:31:49 am »

Hello mattkhan,
yes, it may be the case to update the Wiki page, at least for the specific case of Stero (2ch) into a wider Transport (3+1, 5+1 and the like).

Thanks for all the supported you provided. Really appreciated.
All the best, Andrea

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2022, 12:05:48 pm »

FWIW I can confirm that using a 2-channel convolution WAV file works as expected as long as the mixing target is also two-channel.  I use a 2-channel convolution file in more or less the same way as OP (for a "two-channel in a 5.1 container" output used with a pair of bi or tri-amped speakers).  Everything works as expected, although I do run the convolver before I split out the channels in parametric EQ. 

I think this isn't that unusual given that output format is still mixing down to two channels so both of those channels can pass through the convolver as expected prior to the PEQ mixing.  I think the main statement in wiki is still technically correct: the filter must have the same number of channels as the supplied channels (i.e. the number of outputs with audio information from the output format option must = the inputs for the convolution filter).  The eight-channel example later in the sentence probably needs tweaking, though, as it's not clear which outputs and inputs it's talking about.  It's true if you think in terms of the inputs and mixing outputs of the output format block (if you have an 8-channel output format mixing target, you need an 8-channel convolution filter), but it's not really true of the various "in a __ container" formats, or 2.1 (which is also a container format without being called that).
Pages: [1]   Go Up