INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA Renderer is broken??  (Read 2073 times)

masterjoe

• World Citizen
DLNA Renderer is broken??
« on: February 01, 2022, 12:56:02 pm »

So in MC 26 I was able to cast video from my phone (using Web Video Caster, Bubble UPnP) to MC 26 running on a Windows PC.
Firewall is open - so this can't be the issue.

It always says "file not found" for ANYTHING I fire at it. Although it does SOMETHING it never PLAYS the actual file.
With MC 26 this was no issue. Now I cannot use MC 28 as DLNA renderer anymore!!

For comparison: Macast on Windows DOES play those files from my phone! So it is a MC issue for sure!

Please fix the DLNA renderer!!

THX

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: DLNA Renderer is broken??
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2022, 03:36:57 pm »

The DLNA Renderer in MC works fine.  Take a little time and describe exactly what you're doing.

masterjoe

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 01:48:06 am »

Okay, the setup is the following:
Windows 10 Professional on a powerful AMD machine
MC 28 latest build installed on Windows
On Android phone I use the app Web Video Caster (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.instantbits.cast.webvideo)

Configuration in MC:
- Media Network is enabled
- DLNA renderer is enabled
- MC can communicate through Windows Firewall

Configuration Network:
- Windows PC and Android phone are on the same WIFI network with the same IP range.

Steps:
- in Web Video Caster select ANY media - online or local
- in Web Video Caster connect to one of MCs zones (doesn't matter which one) via DLNA
- try to push the video / image / audio to MC

Result:
- MC changes the file in the selected zone to the one that shall be played BUT in the status bar it says "<filename> File not found"
- MC does not play anything

Expected:
- in MC 26 after pushing the file from Web Video Caster over to MC the video / image / audio plays fine and everything is well

For comparison:
- the installed Macast app on Windows (https://xfangfang.github.io/Macast/) plays files coming from Web Video Caster without any trouble on the same Windows machine!

So what is the issue here and why does MC always tell me "file not found" no matter what I push over to it via DLNA?

THX

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 08:07:33 am »

What happens if you try without the Web Video Caster?  Does everything else work?

You mentioned part of DLNA being turned on.  Turn on all of it.

Configure Windows Defender.  There's a thread on it here.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 01:41:01 pm »

I can't tell if it is relevant to your case, but may as well check:
Options > General > Advanced > [check] Support extra long filenames

masterjoe

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 02:02:34 am »

What happens if you try without the Web Video Caster?  Does everything else work?

You mentioned part of DLNA being turned on.  Turn on all of it.

Configure Windows Defender.  There's a thread on it here.

(1) I have not only used Web Video Caster but also Bubble UPnP and Inshot XCast to deliver media to MC 28. NONE works. With MaCast each of these apps fully works and I can play back video, audio, images. So each and every of the apps does work with MaCast but not with JRiver MC 28!

(2) It does not matter if I turn on all of DLNA or only DLNA renderer. It never works at all. I can see the DLNA renderer on all of the apps. But it always fails. See attached screenshot.

(3) I have been following the thread https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=114101.0 and allowed exclusions for JRiver. It does not work. It still tells me "File not found" in JRiver.

(4) I HAVE enabled support for long file names. That does not make a difference.

Please see attached screenshot. MC recognizes the changed file from the DLNA controller. But playback of any file always fails and it says "File not found".
As said for MaCast I do not have this issue and everything works. MC 26 was also fine. Now in MC 28 I cannot get it to work anymore.

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 06:54:27 am »

If MC26 works, but MC28 doesn't, it's very likely a difference in settings. 

Test without Bubble, etc.

masterjoe

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2022, 07:01:03 am »

My problem is not that MC as such does not work or DLNA as such does not work.

My problem is specifically that I am unable to push over a video or image to MC 28 which is located on my phone OR a web video.
For this I use Web Video Caster (which also has a browser for web videos etc.) or Bubble UPnP and other DLNA controller / servers.

So it's not option to not use Web Video Caster etc. because the apps do exactly what I am after!
This issue is that MC does not find the content that I push over!

Why is that?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2022, 07:06:48 am »

Set up a test of MC playing to MC.  You're assuming that MC as a renderer isn't working.  Test that assumption.

Break down the other components and do similar tests. 

Don't forget that conversion could be a factor.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2022, 07:26:15 am »

Bob recently fixed a very similar issue so hopefully it will be fixed for you in the next build.

See: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,131928.0.html

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2022, 09:40:31 am »

Bob recently fixed a very similar issue so hopefully it will be fixed for you in the next build.

See: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,131928.0.html
I'm not sure that applies in this case but it's possible.

OP, are you saying that none of the suggested methods you use work? It would be easy for me to test this with bubble.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2022, 09:51:59 am »

I'm not sure that applies in this case but it's possible.

OP, are you saying that none of the suggested methods you use work? It would be easy for me to test this with bubble.
Just tested with bubble from my android test phone to MC windows 28.0.105 64 bit. No issues for Music or Video.
Webcaster works fine too.

masterjoe

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2022, 03:23:29 am »

Just tested with bubble from my android test phone to MC windows 28.0.105 64 bit. No issues for Music or Video.
Webcaster works fine too.

I am using 28.0.105, too. But it always says "File not found" on MC - no matter what I play back. Images, audio, MP4 videos. It does not matter. It does not "find" the file somehow although MC on a Windows PC reacts to the controller command from Bubble UPnP but then does not "find" the file and does not play it.

How can we find out what's wrong here? It could be a network issue. But how do I find out what exactly is wrong?
Is there anything in the log that could give us a hint what's wrong? Where is the log located to have a look?

Its pretty frustrating right now that the "File not found" issue persists. No matter what file or DLNA controller I use for the test.

MC can play these files format/codec-wise - but not via a DLNA controller that passes the file over to MC for rendering...

At least it does not work here on two Windows machines! (Windows 10)

masterjoe

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2022, 03:25:27 am »

Set up a test of MC playing to MC.  You're assuming that MC as a renderer isn't working.  Test that assumption.

Break down the other components and do similar tests. 

Don't forget that conversion could be a factor.

I am assuming that MC as a DLNA renderer is not working. MC to MC works! This issue has to do with passing files from a DLNA controller to MC as a DLNA renderer. Nothing more or less!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2022, 07:52:34 am »

This issue has to do with passing files from a DLNA controller to MC as a DLNA renderer. Nothing more or less!
A Controller just starts up playback by telling the Renderer what to play.  The Renderer then just requests files from the Server.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2022, 09:21:36 am »

When you push from MC to MC you ARE using MC as a DLNA renderer.

If you connect to MC as a Library Server Client and play on the client then you are not using the client as a DLNA renderer.

As I said, it works perfectly fine for me with the same software on both my phone and MC.

The OP said that the issue occurs whether the file to be played is local to the phone or somewhere else. I did the easiest test case, files on the phone. Did you test that?

masterjoe

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2022, 07:31:19 am »

Regarding your question: yes, I used local files on my phone! It told me "file not found" on the MC that should render it! The file name changed in the MC that should play it however.

Regarding MC -> MC I obviously misunderstood what the test would be.
I retested it by using the MC in question to be the playback device. And well, it did NOT work!

So MC -> MC is behaving the exact same way and the renderer still does not play the file but tells be "file not found" although it changes the filename visually.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2022, 08:17:15 am »

Regarding your question: yes, I used local files on my phone! It told me "file not found" on the MC that should render it! The file name changed in the MC that should play it however.

Regarding MC -> MC I obviously misunderstood what the test would be.
I retested it by using the MC in question to be the playback device. And well, it did NOT work!

So MC -> MC is behaving the exact same way and the renderer still does not play the file but tells be "file not found" although it changes the filename visually.
So then you are seeing consistent behavior as am I.
For me it consistently works with the same parameters.
Not sure where to go with this.
One last question, is the MC you are trying to play to from the android device ALSO connected to another MC's library server?

masterjoe

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2022, 10:27:54 am »

So then you are seeing consistent behavior as am I.
For me it consistently works with the same parameters.
Not sure where to go with this.
One last question, is the MC you are trying to play to from the android device ALSO connected to another MC's library server?

Your last question shows where the issue is: yes, both MCs that shall be used as DLNA renderers ARE indeed connected to another MC Library server.
When I change the MCs to use the Local Library then passing over files from my phone to the MC DLNA renderer WORKS.

However changing to the Local Library is only a workaround and not a solution. And it DID work without this workaround with MC 26 in the past. This has changed somehow so that when you are connected to a remote server that pushing DLNA content from an additional device no longer works and produces "file not found" as MC assumes to find this content on the remote MC to which it is connected. In my opinion this should be considered a BUG. Because it DID work in the past!

I use the MCs as clients to mostly show the Library Server content. Pushing over DLNA content only happens from time to time to look at photos or play internet videos. So I really hope you'll fix the current behavior and allow both - a connection to a remote server AND pushing content from another DLNA source.

Thanks.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2022, 11:33:37 am »

It's the same problem as this one then.
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,131928.0.html
It's been fixed. Build just posted.

Pages: [1]   Go Up