INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to play to PC from Mac  (Read 1262 times)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Trying to play to PC from Mac
« on: February 02, 2022, 12:00:42 am »

I set up a Mac as the library server, and a Windows 10 system as client. The client sees the library and files just fine and is able to play the files fine. However, when we use the Mac as a controller (the PC is headless) and play "to" the sound device on the PC, nothing happens. Actually, the screen flashes for a moment and then nothing happens. At the bottom it says file not found. Very much like described here:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,131922.0.html

Is cross platform Tremote functionality not supported?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Trying to play to PC from Mac
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 06:33:56 am »

I set up a Mac as the library server, and a Windows 10 system as client. The client sees the library and files just fine and is able to play the files fine. However, when we use the Mac as a controller (the PC is headless) and play "to" the sound device on the PC, nothing happens. Actually, the screen flashes for a moment and then nothing happens. At the bottom it says file not found. Very much like described here:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,131922.0.html

Is cross platform Tremote functionality not supported?
Yes, it should work.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2022, 08:08:37 am »

I've run into this same issue on Win->Linux, see: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,130559.msg906321.html#msg906321

It "looks" like the client is trying to do something because the UI briefly pauses and redraws whenever there is a track change taking place on the server (controller).
The associated "file not found" error indicates to me it's a path interop issue. If this could be rectified at a fundamental level it would also allow local file playback and TV recording on mixed clients, which aren't possible right now without virtualization.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 12:46:31 am »

Yes all three of us are trying to play on a Widows system from another OS.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 10:54:41 am »

Yes all three of us are trying to play on a Widows system from another OS.
So I connected to a windows library server from a Mac.
The Player zone on the windows machine becomes a there: zone.
I drag a file there from my Mac audio file list. It plays.
I right click on a file and do send to -> there -> play. It plays.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 11:00:26 am »

Did you try changing the active zone to the “there” zone. And then just playing something from your library?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2022, 11:01:43 am »

Did you try changing the active zone to the “there” zone. And then just playing something from your library?
Just played something from my library which of course is on the windows machine.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2022, 11:04:25 am »

So I connected to a windows library server from a Mac.
The Player zone on the windows machine becomes a there: zone.
I drag a file there from my Mac audio file list. It plays.
I right click on a file and do send to -> there -> play. It plays.

At least in my case the server is Linux, the client is Windows and I'm using Zones on the server to initiate playback on the client. When I initiate playback (to the Windows client, from the Linux server) the track is added to Playing Now on the client:

But playback does not start with the (file not found) error (see bottom of above screenshot).

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2022, 11:16:12 am »

At least in my case the server is Linux, the client is Windows and I'm using Zones on the server to initiate playback on the client. When I initiate playback (to the Windows client, from the Linux server) the track is added to Playing Now on the client:

But playback does not start with the (file not found) error (see bottom of above screenshot).
If I'm reading right, the OP has the opposite issue.
It seems somewhat convoluted to me to push from a server to a client when the client is attached to the server library but whatever.

Anyway try searching for local in MC's Options and reverse the state of the checkbox you see there and try again.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2022, 11:23:28 am »

Just tried toggling the "play local file" option with the same effect either way.

Re: usage scenario, my server is my workstation (i.e. I typically interact with the server, not the client) and my client is a thin HTPC in a different room connected to my speakers.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2022, 11:36:32 am »

Just tried toggling the "play local file" option with the same effect either way.

Re: usage scenario, my server is my workstation (i.e. I typically interact with the server, not the client) and my client is a thin HTPC in a different room connected to my speakers.
Did you do the "local" change on the client?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2022, 11:37:45 am »

Did you do the "local" change on the client?

Correct, and I just tried toggling it on the server too for good measure with no effect.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2022, 11:42:58 am »

Correct, and I just tried toggling it on the server too for good measure with no effect.
I don't know then.
You are really just sending a track via DLNA to the windows machine when you send to the zone that shows up on the linux server.
Don't know why it should make any difference that the client is connected to the server at the same time.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2022, 06:12:25 pm »

Figured it out. It was related to OS database differences. It shouldn't have applied that to URLS.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2022, 09:01:52 pm »

Yay! That was a major thorn!

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2022, 02:45:38 am »

Figured it out. It was related to OS database differences. It shouldn't have applied that to URLS.

Great news. Thanks for your work on this. The reason I want this to work is that the Windows system has very high quality audio outputs. and is run headlessly as a player. The person using the system is a Mac guy and his "library" is on lots of USB drives that he plugs into the MacBook for a few days each. It's much simpler for him to control things this way. I hope that it'll be fixed now that you traced the issue, and he will not need to use Microsoft remote desktop anymore.
Pages: [1]   Go Up