INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request - Albums within artist screen  (Read 936 times)

GrahamG

• Recent member
Feature Request - Albums within artist screen
« on: February 02, 2022, 02:47:46 am »

Hi. I'm a big fan of JRiver MC, it is my go-to to manage and enjoy my digital music collection. I generally drill into my collection via the album artist, to see all the albums I have by them. There are a few things other music managers do which are useful, I'd love to see them in JRiver MC.

1. List appearances on other albums where they are not the album artist (various artist compilations for example) - this would be a really nice addition, ideally displayed in a separate section after the main listing of albums.

2. Enable separation of singles, EPs etc. Would require some way of flagging the album as a single, or EP, but this would be another nice to have to better structure an artist's collection. Ideally this section would appear after the main body of albums but before the above requested "appears on" section. Solved

3. At the moment the only indication of the album artist on the screen is in the breadcrumb. Some sort of display banner at the top would be much more inviting. Could be as simple as the album artist name in larger type. Could be enhanced with a summary of number of albums, and even progress onto a banner picture (shallow bar would be fine so as not to take up too much real estate on the screen).

I hope some consideration could be given to these requests, and thanks again for making my digital music experience so enjoyable.

Cheers...Graham

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Feature Request - Albums within artist screen
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 05:02:35 am »

I just marked one of my Abba tracks for the album as "Gold - Single".

Then when I looked at the artist structure in the tree or list, it listed that one file separately.  So it seems like it already separates a single if it has a discrete album tag.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

GrahamG

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2022, 11:35:22 am »

I just marked one of my Abba tracks for the album as "Gold - Single".

Then when I looked at the artist structure in the tree or list, it listed that one file separately.  So it seems like it already separates a single if it has a discrete album tag.

Yes changing the album name to something different will treat a track separately. But it will still be interleaved with the main albums, whether by year or alphabetically or whatever sort criteria used. I'm suggesting a separate section, titled EPs/Singles, with the same sort sequence as the main. Like wot Roon does. ;)

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2022, 11:50:56 am »

I'd probably use an entirely separate view for this. A brief walkthrough:

Add a new user library field, called something like EP / Single
This should have the datatype of integer, and the edit type check.

This gives you a checkbox in the tag editor.

Now create a clone of your main audio view.
Add a new modifier to the files to display as follows:
EP / Single is any 1

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2022, 02:02:37 pm »

I have created custom AlbumType field which I then use to separate different release types
Accepted values eg Single;EP;Album;Compilation;Soundtrack;Bootleg;Classical;Misc;Podcast

GrahamG

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 04:02:42 am »

Thanks I can see that I can do the EP/Single distinction by using a custom field and including it in a sort. Thanks for the help.

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2022, 05:05:52 pm »

My (time consuming) solution to see what albums a certain artist is on was to create a "Musos" semi-colon delimited field and enter the list of musicians for the albums. Then create a view as Panes showing Muso name, then Album Artist, then Album (or in my case Album Sequence which shows some extra data). It reveals fascinating information!

To get to an artist quickly and accurately - select any artist and begin typing the name.

Vinnie Colaiuta is the champion of my collection - it shows he is on 73 albums by 41 different artists, and if I click on an Album Artist it just shows the albums that he is on. Here is a simpler example.

Pages: [1]   Go Up