INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Play DVD Audio format  (Read 1635 times)

Mr. Vegas

• Recent member
Feature Request: Play DVD Audio format
« on: February 02, 2022, 10:39:24 am »

Hallo, is it possible for MC29 to add the following audio format (LPCM, MLP) used to play a DVD-Audio. When playing a special DVD-Audio, you can then switch between normal DVD mode and DVD-Audio mode. Another thing that wouldn't be bad, like with the Super Audio CD, is that you can play a DVD-Audio ISO.

If this were possible and there were no copyright or special costs involved, it would be a great new feature in MC29.

Sry for my English come from Germany

Emsubs

• Recent member
Re: Feature Request: Play DVD Audio format
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2022, 11:43:09 pm »

+1

Axilian

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 07:24:44 am »

+1 here also - also being able to read a DVD-A iso  would be great and something that's really lacking with MC on the audio side

these day it seems that MC's development is  very much focussed on the visual and for me implementing this sort of feature would help convince me that upgrading annually isn't a waste of money (I only use the audio side)

S. Pupp

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 11:37:05 am »

+1

cncb

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022, 02:24:17 pm »

Several years ago, I converted my DVD-Audio to multi-channel flac which is more widely supported.  I don't know if the software still exists - it was called DVD Audio Ripper or something like that.  Then you can add the DVD-Video portion as a normal DVD rip if you want to still be able to play that.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2022, 02:46:37 pm »

I am not sure I care too much about full dvd-audio support in JRiver, but I wouldn't mind it. I am happy using dvd audio extractor to convert to flac.

You can do full disc rips of dvd-audio with software called dvdfab. It will provide a folder with video_ts and audio_ts. MC won't play the audio_ts portion but is does import it because there is an ifo in there. This results in an unplayable dvd in your library.

My request for dvd audio is that MC ignores the ifo in the audio_ts folder since it cannot play it. At the moment I have my full rips outside of MC then a separate video only rip inside MC. It would be nice to have the full rip in my library, just so I don't need multiple versions.

I remember back in the day when dvd-audio was all the rage, there were visuals that played with the audio that were only available through a certified dvd audio player. I would be just as interested in the visuals as the audio. Maybe I am remembering wrong though and this isn't a thing. There was indeed visuals, but were they only available through the specific players?

Mr. Vegas

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2022, 10:07:57 am »

Hello, I know the DVD-Audio Extractor and I also have it to convert DVD-Audios. In addition, I also have my old Denon DVD-1600 player that can play the DVD-Audio with the DVD-Audio menu.

You're right, the DVD-Audio had its own graphical interface when played on a certified player. Brazilian Bossa & Carly Simon – No Secrets had extra lyrics or, for example, pictures from the artist on the DVD-Audio track.

Personally, I can understand why DVD-Audio wasn't as popular as normal DVDs, since you needed a special DVD-Audio player that cost a lot more back then.

Maybe one day the function will be added to JRiver.

I would be very happy about it and certainly one or the other JRiver user, even if it is not the majority of JRiver users.

Thanks for an answer.

EdBrady

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2022, 10:33:07 pm »

DVD-Audio was a great format; I wish it would make a comeback. I think its biggest problem was it came along too soon. For most of its days, players didn't have HDMI outputs. The only way to get the high resolution sound to your audio system was via analog cables, and for surround, that meant six of them... and of course your audio gear had to have an analog 5.1 input as well.

It would be very nice to have DVD-Audio playback in MC.

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2022, 03:11:55 pm »

DVD-A is a dead format.  Discs are no longer being made.  I recently sold my small collection of DVD-As and the only player I ever had that played them.  Yet another unicorn format.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up