INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cambridge Audio Support advises check settings of MC28 as CXN sound is harsh.  (Read 1817 times)

Dr.Funk

• Junior Woodchuck

Hi Guys,
I have a Cambridge Audio CXNv2 and use a Samsung tablet as a controller for Mc28, which is on my Win 10 desktop PC.
i have never delved into the settings of JRiver other than setting where the music and library live.

I contacted CA's support because whenever I play the CXN the sound is really harsh to the point I don't want to listen to it. Friends agree that it is fatiguing and not nice; it has been like this from the start. Yet if I play my cd or turntable everything is sweet. All units play through the same pre-amp, power amp and speakers.

CA Support stated " I would suggest you check your UPnP music server to see if this is doing something strange - some of them will transcode on the fly if they think the receiving device requires it or certain settings are altered in the setup menu".

I do not know where to look or what I am looking for, or indeed what the settings should be. Could someone please help me with this, thank you.
Regards
Andy

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

What is your connection to the DAC?

If you are using DLNA (networked) then you can go into Tools - Options - Media Network - Add or Configure DLNA Servers and make sure the audio is set to not convert.  That is the issue support is telling you about.

If possible, connect the PC to the DAC through usb and set the audio option to use Wasapi.  That should give you a clean connection to the DAC.

Dr.Funk

• Junior Woodchuck

Hi, Thanks for the reply

My streamer is connected by ethernet to my desktop PC, they are about 10 metres apart.

i have gone into Tools and the DNLA Audio and the Audio is set to Original.

Is that all I need to check?
Thanks

dtc

• MC Beta Team

As long it is set to original, there is no processing and the streamer should be getting the exact file without any modifications.  Can you send it wireless? Not sure what else to suggest.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.

Have you checked your settings under Tools>Options>Media Network>Add or configure DLNA servers?

Under Audio check the settings under Audio for your server.

There is also a decent equalizer in the DSP studio that might help you get rid of the "harshness"

DJLegba

I prepared this while Dawgincontrol was responding, so some of it repeats his advice:

That streamer appears to have a USB input. As a test, move it close enough to the computer to permit a USB connection and change MC's audio device to the associated WASAPI or ASIO channel.

As for DLNA, earlier versions of MC defaulted to converting everything to MP3. In the Playing Now list, right-click on your Cambridge Audio device and look at "Associate with DLNA Server" (as there may be more than one DLNA server defined in MC). Then in Tools | Options | Media Network go to "Add or configure DLNA servers" and check the settings for the DLNA server associated with your streamer. The conversion options are confusing" as "Specified output format only when necessary" will still convert to MP3. You want to choose "Original".

Dr.Funk

• Junior Woodchuck

Hi Guys,
Thanks for your responses.
@ DJLegba and @Dawgincontrol.
Your go to Tools/Options/Media NEtwork etc was covered in the first responce, Audio is set to original.
You say that earlier versions of MC defaulted to convert everything to MP3; I am using the latest version of MC28, this should not be the case, I cannot find any evidence that it is.
I have attached a screenshot showing this.
Unfortunately I cannot move the streamer to the Desktop PC, they are at either ends of the house. If I bring the streamer to the pc, then I cannot connect to my hi-fi by the same distance.
Sounds the same wirelessly.
If I click on DSP Studio it states only available for local zones?
Thanks again for your help, not sure what else I can do, it would appear that what is happening is within the CXNv2.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team

If I click on DSP Studio it states only available for local zones?

I am also puzzled by apparent unavailability of DSP Studio when MC Server broadcasts to a DLNA zone, in my case over Wi-Fi.
If I look at the Audio Path (using rightmost button to right of the playback position slider), it always says "Not using JRiver audio engine", independent of how the DLNA server options are configured.  Therefore it would appear that MC's DSP cannot be applied to the OP's harshness problem (unless it gets applied without notification?).

The DLNA/DSP question has been discussed in many old threads, including https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=125100.0, but it's still not clear to me what is going on.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

The DLNA protocol doesn't support DSP.  You can make it work though:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DSP_Over_DLNA

markf2748

• MC Beta Team

Thanks Jim.  Wiki has same information that is in the thread I cited.

For me at least, the confusion comes in when I look at the Audio Path window.  That window is a great feature, but it only shows the applied DSP when playing locally.  How about updating it to also show input/output formats and DSP applied to the selected DLNA stream, with an informational header line noting the player zone?  I realize that any additional conversions or DSP applied by the targeted renderer would not be visible in this window, but at least it would confirm the MC output path (perhaps with a warning note to that effect).

Feature Request Submitted:  https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,131968.0.html

bob

• Administrator

At one point the audio path information was displayable when playing to DLNA devices but it caused a rare crash that we were unable to find a way to get around so it's been disabled for the time being.
Pages: [1]   Go Up