INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reduce Audio Level when Importing Music  (Read 1040 times)

vbphil

• World Citizen
Reduce Audio Level when Importing Music
« on: February 04, 2022, 01:48:34 pm »

I have some WAV files that I made from my vinyl collection using Cakewalk Audio Creator where the audio was set too high but not distorted. I've imported them into MC as AAC files. When I play the AAC files on other devices, like in my GMC truck the level is disturbingly way higher than all the other songs.

Can I re-import the WAV files but lower the resulting audio level in the AAC file?

MC has a Media Editor that can transform the volume down and then resave the file. Is this a good way to accomplish this?

BTW, I no longer have the vinyl records in order to re-digitize them.

thanks,   -phil

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Reduce Audio Level when Importing Music
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2022, 02:15:58 pm »

Is there a reason you don't keep your WAVs in the MC library? If you do, you can create AACs with either a) replaygain (volume leveling) info in the tags (for players that support this) -- very likely this will NOT work in your truck or b) apply DSP to the output AAC files directly using the handheld sync tool DSP studio (in Conversion options).

vbphil

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2022, 02:50:27 pm »

Is there a reason you don't keep your WAVs in the MC library? If you do, you can create AACs with either a) replaygain (volume leveling) info in the tags (for players that support this) -- very likely this will NOT work in your truck or b) apply DSP to the output AAC files directly using the handheld sync tool DSP studio (in Conversion options).

I donated my vinyls to charity, over 400 albums. I digitized some of the ones I liked to WAVs when a CD wasn't available. This was all before I started using MC. So with MC I've ripped all my CDs to ALAC and then any 4 stars or greater rating I created AAC copies for other devices. The WAVs were also imported to ALAC and then I was intending on deleting the WAVs when I was sure I didn't need them so they were never added to the MC library.

When I convert ALAC to AAC I'm using DSP volume leveling in the Audio Conversion Options settings but I don't think that is actually changing the audio level in the AAC file. So I'm really not sure how to put all this together. There are so many configurations in MC and unless you're a recording Engineer the help files are a bit understated for the novice.

macdonjh

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2022, 03:01:44 pm »

vbphil, have you tried Analyze Audio? 

Tools -> Advanced Tools -> Analyze Audio

vbphil

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2022, 03:32:25 pm »

vbphil, have you tried Analyze Audio? 

Tools -> Advanced Tools -> Analyze Audio

Yes I use Analyze Audio but that doesn't change anything in the audio file. It just saves the results in the MC database and optionally the file's tags. Although I don't see how to get it saved in the file's tags. It must be an option setting somewhere.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2022, 03:58:21 pm »

When I convert ALAC to AAC I'm using DSP volume leveling in the Audio Conversion Options settings but I don't think that is actually changing the audio level in the AAC file.

This operation should change the audio level in the actual file. What makes you believe this isn't happening?

Although I don't see how to get it saved in the file's tags. It must be an option setting somewhere.

For automatic changes Edit>"Update tags when..." or you can do it manually with a right-click Library Tools>"Update Tags (from library)."

Also note that if you are using the Conversion Cache you will need to empty it before changing conversion or sync DSP settings, otherwise it will just pull the old file from the cache.

vbphil

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2022, 04:05:17 pm »

This operation should be change the audio level in the actual file. What makes you believe this isn't happening?

I didn't think it was happening because when playing back the song on another device, like in my GMC truck, the sound level is way higher than other songs.

But if you say that should be working I'll take a closer look to make sure I'm doing what I think I am.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2022, 05:55:58 pm »

When doing the conversion, click on Options and look at the settings to be sure that DSP is checked and that Volume Leveling is checked in Audio in the DSP settings.

macdonjh

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2022, 08:46:01 am »

Interesting that the volume leveling doesn't seem to be working for you.  I store my music files as .wav, but when I sync them to one of my DAPs I convert them to .flac and use the volume leveling "check box" as dtc suggests.  .flac does a good job of supporting tags/ meta-data so that works for me.  .wav does a poor job.  I don't use AAC or ALAC, so I don't know about those codecs.

vbphil

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2022, 09:28:11 am »

When doing the conversion, click on Options and look at the settings to be sure that DSP is checked and that Volume Leveling is checked in Audio in the DSP settings.

Yes, that is how I have it set.

How is a file's Peak Level that is saved in the database used? I don't understand what the value signifies and how it's used. For instance, one of my files that play back too loud has a Peak Level (R128) of -9.3 dBTP. There's is no value for Peak Level (Sample).

I also read in the Wiki that DSP only works during playback. It says nothing about changing the content of a flie when creating a new file.

"Volume leveling does not compress the music or affect dynamic range; it just changes playback volume. Volume Leveling also does not alter the audio content of files; all volume adjustment is done using DSP at runtime."

One other thought. I seldom use MC to play files so if volume leveling is only a function of MC using DSP at payback that doesn't help when playing the files elsewhere on other devices with their players like the TV, Automoblie and iPhone to name a few.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2022, 10:02:41 am »

Yes, that is how I have it set.

How is a file's Peak Level that is saved in the database used? I don't understand what the value signifies and how it's used. For instance, one of my files that play back too loud has a Peak Level (R128) of -9.3 dBTP. There's is no value for Peak Level (Sample).

I also read in the Wiki that DSP only works during playback. It says nothing about changing the content of a flie when creating a new file.

"Volume leveling does not compress the music or affect dynamic range; it just changes playback volume. Volume Leveling also does not alter the audio content of files; all volume adjustment is done using DSP at runtime."

One other thought. I seldom use MC to play files so if volume leveling is only a function of MC using DSP at payback that doesn't help when playing the files elsewhere on other devices with their players like the TV, Automoblie and iPhone to name a few.

I think the reference you cite is old. From the Convert Format Wiki entry

"Set the "Options" of the conversion. These options include the ability to "Apply DSP" so you have the ability to use all the features of the DSP engine such as Volume Levelling, Equalisation, Sample Rates, Bitdepths, and Channel Up/Down mixing as needed."  That said, I have never tried Volume Level on conversion.

vbphil

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2022, 11:00:34 am »

Ok, I stand corrected.
I deleted a few AAC converted files and re-converted from the ALAC with DSP volume leveling on. When the AAC file was played back on MC the level was lowered as desired. I also played the AAC file directly from Windows using Groove and the level was lowered. So, I see that is working.

I must have had different settings when the AAC files were originally produced. Although they were produced years ago with a different version of MC in case that matters. I only notice these louder songs on just a few albums out of 850 so I'll re-convert those when they are noticed.
Thanks for the replies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up