INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRVR Profiles Discussion  (Read 1066 times)

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
JRVR Profiles Discussion
« on: February 06, 2022, 05:19:26 pm »

I tried JRVR for the first time and I am very impressed.  My goal was to A/B it against similar settings in MadVR, and on first blush it looks like I get simlar results with about half the internal GPU load. I'm quite impressed, barring Placebo-itis.

I do have a feature request, and here I'd promised myself I wouldn't.  Image enhancements for sports, in particular action sports, would naturally be quite different from those prefered for say, dramas.  Is there any potential for adding an MC field whereby we can select and save off presets, so that each time I click to play my ski racing vids they get much less sharpening (thereby reducing judder), than say my large collection of vids of, er, Eastern-bloc ambassadoresses?  Thought I'd ask!

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: JRVR Profiles Discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 06:22:48 am »

We plan to have some kind of profile system for JRVR settings, but how exactly it'll work is not decided yet.

One option is a system similar to madVR (and similar to ZoneSwitch) where you create settings profiles and then can setup rules which profile is activated - but without actually switching zones, as that implies a lot of extra complexity.
The other option would be similar to how DSP profiles work, where you can tell each file which profile it should use. Both concepts have advantages and disadvantages. Maybe a combination of both, as in you have Profiles and selection rules, but ít can be overriden on a per-file basis if so desired.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 04:26:45 pm »

I'd suggest there are probably 3 levels as we (sort of) have now for video:  Default, Zone, and File (using Playback Info).  Making it easy to use these three levels is another thing!
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 05:26:59 pm »

I'd prefer to not rely on actual Zones. As we expand the areas in MC with complex configuration, a global "Zone" to govern them all just explodes in complexity.

Assume you have different Zones for audio. Maybe for Headphones and Speakers, maybe for Speakers you got a Day and Night setup, so thats 3 Zones. An OK amount for controlling basically the audio output.
Now you want different video settings, maybe based on content, one for Sports, one for Cinema-style content, one for Animes.

To cover all these settings, you end up with 9 zones already (all possible combinations). Thats really getting out of hand, and becomes entirely unusable, as well as requiring setting up everything in triplicate.

Hence, I prefer a separate profile driven system thats independent of zones entirely. Of course you could also setup a rule to load a certain profile when a certain zone is active, to tie it back together if needed.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 07:03:49 pm »

I agree, Zones are not ideal at all.  I was more suggesting there is a hierarchy (say Default, Profile, File for want of better terms)

If File has "Playback Info Set" use that, else
   If File matches a Profile use that, else
      use Default.

I'd also prefer the use of Meta Data to drive the matching to a profile, rather than part of the filename.
JRiver CEO Elect

jgreen

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 12:52:17 am »

A big "No Thanks" to Zones also.  If there is a zone-specific benefit to custom settings, then at least enable media track-specific settings that would override this.

Currently, if I want to crop black bars in the video, or zoom the video, or correct aspect ratio, I can do this simply and powerfully on a track-specifc basis, and no one is ever hurt by this.  The settings travel seamlessly with the media track, and they are easy to undo or disable. 

A field-based system for JRVR profiles would serve much the same role, as does "Playback Range" currently, and plenty of others.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 02:37:07 am »

You need to be able to distinguish between configuration for the display device and configuration for the source content. The former could (for me at least) happily be set on a per zone basis in a particular client, the latter should travel with the library item though I would think you may still need to override on a per zone basis. For example, say you had some content that would benefit from expensive processing to clean it up but one client has the horsepower to do that while another doesn't.

It would also be great if the same approach could be applied to audio configuration and DSP as it seems the same problem to me

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2022, 04:29:38 am »

Matt makes a very good point.  I've use multiple MC Clients than range from NUCs to 1660ti to 3090 (well that one is the server as well), all reading the same library.  With the:
- 3090 I want all the goodies with HDR passthrough
- on one 1660ti I want all the goodies with HDR passthrough for but may need to drop down to FSRCNNX 8 for UHD 50/60fps
- on one 1660ti I want all the goodies with HDR tonemapping and again may need to drop down to FSRCNNX 8 for UHD 50/60fps
- on the NUCs I want HDR passthrough and just the minimum

These could all be done by profiles on each install......  I'm trying to think of when I'd need something that is track specific (like we have with other playback options that travels with the library) in regards to processing that would not fit in with a Profile.  I'm not sure I do.
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2022, 05:20:48 am »

Settings are generally system specific, which profiles would fall into. They wouldn't sync to a library client, unless we specifically invent something new that would - but I'm not sure we need to.
Most profiles will likely be performance-oriented. Swap out settings based on content - resolution, or frame rate, or such.

Even if you make profiles based on the type of content (eg. Sports vs Cinema), it would be easier to setup rules that look at generic library fields (Subtype, Genre, etc), or even a custom field, instead of manually applying profile preset names for individual files to use, because a link from files to profiles would be awkward to maintain in the long term.

To make setting up multiple systems easier, we could consider profile import/export, which would also allow sharing here. Not syncing with the library gives you freedom on every client, at the expense of a bit more setup, but unless you have very closely matched clients, that might be an advantage.

A separate but related topic would be the ability to override certain file properties to fix bad files, like forcing deinterlacing, or overriding the color properties. This is obviously something that needs to be done per file, but it should be separate from any profile concerns, as it should target individual file details, and not generic settings.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2022, 02:08:16 pm »

I think that would work for me.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2022, 02:16:05 pm »

This could be a good example of needing to fix a single file:

I suppose in absence of other data, they could be treated like 1000 instead of 10000, but if it actually goes beyond 1000 then it'll result in other problems.
JRiver CEO Elect

jgreen

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2022, 04:23:37 pm »

I like the thinking that I'm seeing here:  Zone for System "Settings" vs Track-specific (or Systemwide) "Profiles". 

The cases mentioned all conform to my real-world experience.  Sometimes you have a low-rez source and you want to goose it, sometimes you have 4k+ playback and want to leave it mostly alone.  At the same time, you may be using a farm full of AI-capable cards, or Intel's onboard squeaky toy, which BTW has gotten surprisingly good.

I would ask the Boffins to consider this also:  Image processing is a pipeline, and a complaint of mine about the MadVR config interface is that it's tough for the casual user to understand what's a big deal and what's a little, and who's doing what to whom at what point in the pipeline.  Help me see it in the config UI as a start-to-finsh or top-to-bottom process.

RC23

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2022, 05:42:21 am »

I am very interested in the new project JRVR and will work with it in my chain.

I am currently building a PC for BR and the MS Flight Simulator (MSFS). https://www.flightsimulator.com

In the MSFS forums tips and experiences are given. Helpful in the postings is the indication of the PC configuration, in order to see, with which components one works. This makes it easier to classify results or problems. Therefore I suggest to add the process chain PC components and TV / projector with indication of the output format 2K or 4K regularly. This is best done by a footer in the signature.

In the German-speaking MSFS forum, it looks like this, for example:

Win 10 Pro 64bit
Gigabyte Z490 UD | Core i7 10700K | 32GB DDR4 4000 Crucial Ballistix Max Gaming | GeForce RTX 3070 8GB | beQuiet! 580W Gold | Honeycomb Alpha Flight Yoke + Bravo Throttle | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | Behringer X-Touch Mini | TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals | TrackIR
https://www.flusi.info/forum/index.php?thread/11859-hat-jemand-erfahrungen-mit-der-rx-6900-xt/&postID=208556#post208556

My configuration:

Win 10 Pro 64bit
MSI MAG B550M Mortar | Ryzen 5 5600X | 32GB DDR4 3200 Crucial Ballistix | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 Radeon RX 6600 with 8GB | PSU Seasonic Focus GX 750W ATX 2.4 | Philips 42PFL7404H Full HD TV | Projector Mitsubishi HC5 (both with 1080p @ 60fps)

In about a month I will buy the missing PC parts and build the PC. After that I will participate in testing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up