INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SoX resampling crashing MC (?)  (Read 688 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
SoX resampling crashing MC (?)
« on: February 09, 2022, 09:40:04 am »

I've been downsampling HD FLACs (192=>96) for the purpose of more efficient streaming on my LAN, and if I select an album's worth of tracks to downsample MC will crash after 4-5 tracks. This hasn't been much of a problem if I only need to select the remaining and convert. However, last night I noticed JRemote taking 10-20 seconds between tracks, and I remembered I had made changes to MC's local audio (zone) player's DSP because it didn't want to play a DSD128 track. That is, the server was downsampling before streaming to JRemote. MC stopped streaming after 5 tracks, and I couldn't get JRemote to wake up the server.

I had created the downsample routine via creating a FLAC conversion preset and associating an appropriate DSP with it (see screen grab below). Is there something there I should change?

In common with all these crashes was the DSP used calling on SoX for resampling, and I had just enabled SoX a couple of days before. I wonder why the DSP, associated with MC's local audio player was used(?) I believe I can fix the problem with streaming to JRemote by associating an appropriately configured DSP with the server's DLNA, and that would be independent of the local audio (zone) player. Is that correct?

Cheers from the Avalon...
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

dtc

• MC Beta Team
Re: SoX resampling crashing MC (?)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2022, 06:06:59 pm »

Don't think this is causing your crashes, but you should look at converting by a integer multiple. That is, convert 176, 352 and 705 to 88 rather than 96.  There is less overhead if you do that.

shAf

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2022, 07:51:29 pm »

Don't think this is causing your crashes, but you should look at converting by a integer multiple. That is, convert 176, 352 and 705 to 88 rather than 96.  There is less overhead if you do that.
Thanks for your suggestion—I’ll make the changes. I do believe the crashes happened during the resampling—too coincidental. That said, the Win10 computer isn’t exactly a powerhouse. Perhaps it couldn’t handle the overhead(?)

I’m more interested in the media server’s associated DLNA as I don’t want it stepping on the raw PCM. For example, why did it somehow use the DSP configuration as defined for the computer’s own local audio zone player, instead of using the DSP associated with the server’s DLNA?

I’ll look into the DLNA’s DSP configuration a bit more to see if I can come up with additional info, and report back…

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2022, 08:48:29 pm »

I've been downsampling HD FLACs (192=>96) for the purpose of more efficient streaming on my LAN, and if I select an album's worth of tracks to downsample MC will crash after 4-5 tracks.
I had created the downsample routine via creating a FLAC conversion preset and associating an appropriate DSP with it (see screen grab below). Is there something there I should change?
I am not a techie but I have been downsampling for many reasons for many years and I have never(!) needed to create a "downsample routine by creating a FLAC conversion preset" or associating it with "an appropriate DSP."  Why is a FLAC conversion required?  Can you not simply specify the output sample-rate and do it on the fly?
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

shAf

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2022, 09:01:20 pm »

I am not a techie but I have been downsampling for many reasons for many years and I have never(!) needed to create a "downsample routine by creating a FLAC conversion preset" or associating it with "an appropriate DSP."  Why is a FLAC conversion required?  Can you not simply specify the output sample-rate and do it on the fly?

“… on the fly” would be a client request, would it not? JRemote doesn’t allow for it…
Pages: [1]   Go Up