INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature request: Importing Minidsp configuration files  (Read 598 times)

dziemian

• Recent member
Feature request: Importing Minidsp configuration files
« on: February 11, 2022, 03:03:09 pm »

it would be very handy and popular if you make it easy to import minidsp files to JRiver. This way I could use JRiver with external dac instead of minidsp unit. There are many minidsp configuration files for hundreds of  speakers available on the net.  It is very difficult to make it on my own.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Feature request: Importing Minidsp configuration files
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2022, 03:24:16 pm »

fwiw there are at least 3 problems with this

1) MC doesn't have all the same dsp capabilities as any minidsp device
2) minidsp do not publish any formal specification of their config file formats so it seems impractical for jriver to depend on this
3) the specific format of a minidsp file varies with the plugin (and device) so there are actually quite a few variants of the format (floating point vs fixed point devices being the major difference)

It's not *that hard* for someone to write a converter as the minidsp file formats are not so hard to parse & MC does have an MCWS call which can load a dsp config. Unfortunately this format is also not public api so you have to reverse engineer it yourself ....

on the bright side, most of this work has been done already inside https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,129609.0.html as it can read/write various minidsp config files as well as translate filters into an MC compatible format

can you give some examples of the sort of config files you're interested in? it might be fairly straightforward to write a translator in there depending on what is in them

dziemian

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 03:20:06 pm »

Example file attached

Ad.1 I thought JRiver is as capable in DSP as any minidsp unit.  Crossovers, slopes, LP and HP filters, channel routing, even Dirac plugin etc. What capabilities are missing?
Ad.  2-3 I am aware it might not be easy but if you manage many people would be able to replace  minidsp with JRiver/ HTPC  combo

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 03:55:55 pm »

A minidsp has relatively limited filter count but has a few that MC doesn't support so there is no way to reliably reproduce all minidsp config files in MC.

I don't see what is hard about doing this manually btw, tedious yes but anyone who wants to do this can do it today.
Pages: [1]   Go Up