INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Customising lefthand navigation menu  (Read 515 times)

LindaLooUK

Customising lefthand navigation menu
« on: February 13, 2022, 09:54:29 am »

Hi everyone

New user here.  :)

Am I missing something here but it doesn't seem possible to customise the main navigation menu that's on the left of Media Center.  I'm referring to the list that includes Playing Now, Audio, Images, Video, Documents, Television etc...

I'd like to hide various elements of the list but also promote certain favourite items such as particular Playlists.

Has the bleepin' obvious passed me by!  ;D

Many thanks for any support or information you feel able to provide.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Customising lefthand navigation menu
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 09:59:30 am »

Options > General > Features

LindaLooUK

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2022, 10:15:32 am »

Many thanks for the prompt response.

That certainly helps, thank you!  It's not quite as customisable as I'd ideally like but it's much better.  ;)  Ideally I'd like to be able to drag and drop various elements on the navigation menu itself rather than select them from an options menu - e.g. a favourites area would be great.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 12:23:13 am »

LindaLoo – Whilst allowing the user to reorganize the way the entries in the Tree may never happen, MC does provide a “Favourites” option that provides the user with a Customisable alternative to the Rigidly Organised Tree.
Unfortunately setting Favourites up is not as user friendly as it could be.
The 1st stage is to right click somewhere on the Menu Area of the Toolbar and select “Customise Tolbar..”
This will bring up a screen where you add items to the Menu Bar – Scroll down the list on the left of that panel till you see the word “Favourites” highlight/select it and then press the Add Button – “Favourites” will then appear in the list in the Right Panel. Then close that window.
After closing that window, you will see a new icon on the menu bar, with a DropDown Arrow beside it; if you hover your mouse over it the icon will switch to being a Silver Star on a Yellow Background and if the toolitips are switched on the word Favourites will also appear.
Now for the less than user friendly bit – adding things to “Favourites”, which you can do in any order you like.
1st step – Navigate down thru the tree until you get to something you want to add to “Favourites” and select it.
2nd Step – Click on the “Favourites Icon and select the “Add to Favourites” option.
3rd Step – You have to give the thing you are adding to Favourites a Name – even though it’s probably already got one.

Once you have added all you favourites click on the Favourites Icon and select the “Organise Favourites” option. The window that pops up allows you to organise your Favourites Menu/List in any order you like.

Or instead of adding Favourites to the Top Tool/Menu Bar you can add it to the Bottom Tool/Status Bar.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

LindaLooUK

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 02:37:23 pm »

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation of Favourites, that's great!   ;D

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2022, 08:55:46 am »

Nice explanation indeed ET - I have been using the program for 15 years, and did not know about this functionality.  Thanks!

Also, brilliant suggestion from Linda... it would be great to have a Favorites group header directly in the Left Panel/Tree where you could simply drag and drop other tree items onto, vs. the current clunky toolbar button approach that ET described perfectly above.  Can that be incorporated?  If not, at least make adding items to the favorites button a little easier by pre-populating it with item name you are about to add (instead of just being blank). The user could then overwrite the pre-populated value if they wanted to.  That said, why would you? What would be the value of having the favorites name/ID different than the item name that it points to?  I am sure someone will enlighten me ;D

Anyway, adding the capability Linda alluded to would be the best option IMO.  My guess is that this has been suggested before somewhere in the annals of MC's history.
Pages: [1]   Go Up