INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why is FLAC suddenly being MP3'd when streaming to laptop?  (Read 452 times)

curleyfrei

Why is FLAC suddenly being MP3'd when streaming to laptop?
« on: February 13, 2022, 12:01:50 pm »

Hi all,

I frequently stream music from my PC over WiFi to my laptop in the living room, and to my knowledge have never had any issues with lossless streaming.  Other than some super hi-res files, e.g. DSD, which my current DAC in the living room doesn't support (handles up to 24/96); but then JRiver would just give me the option to change my settings to accommodate my setup, and it would, and I would get 24/96 playback, no problem.

Until today, when I noticed that seemingly any FLAC file I play -- most of which are just standard 16/44.1 files -- is converted to 320 MP3 on playback...

Only thing I can think of is the most recent client update, which I had pending for a while on the laptop and finally installed the other night... Not entirely sure if this problem started immediately after that, though, as I've only just noticed it.  Everything sounds OK, of course; I'm just a bit miffed as none of my settings have changed -- specifically, this one: Media Network -> Client Options -> Audio Conversion -> Conversion: Convert audio if necessary -- and I just tried setting it to 'Don't convert audio'; then re-loaded the library from my laptop, but still I get 320kbps playback...  Native lossless playback is just fine on the PC.

Why?! ?

Both PC & laptop are running v28.0.105 (64-bit).  Thanks in advance!

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Why is FLAC suddenly being MP3'd when streaming to laptop?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 12:40:00 pm »

Media Network>Add or configure DLNA servers

Use Original Format and make sure that the audio conversion is disabled.

curleyfrei

Re: Why is FLAC suddenly being MP3'd when streaming to laptop?
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 08:04:18 pm »

Media Network>Add or configure DLNA servers

Use Original Format and make sure that the audio conversion is disabled.

That was it, thank you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up