INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need better way of handling sync size.  (Read 2058 times)

CptanPanic

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Need better way of handling sync size.
« on: March 13, 2003, 07:24:00 pm »

I think MC9 needs to implement a system whereas to deal with synching with a portable item that has less space than library.  Maybe something where you can specify the percentage of space for various genres?

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Need better way of handling sync size.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2003, 05:11:53 am »

CptanPanic,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I can think of some ways to do this, but they get pretty complicated. For example, the sync is performed against a set of Playlists\Smartlists so I don't think a limitation by Genre is necessarily the way to go. I could limit the % of files by some other criteria, but it would potentially end up being pretty random which is kind of how it is now (i.e. when the space runs out, the sync is done) I am not sure the gain of the feature is offset by the potential added complexity to the interface.

What does anyone else think about this feature?

CptanPanic

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2003, 06:52:16 am »

Let me ask you a few questions about how the current smartlists work in relation to disk space.  

1) If you have a SL that is to choose 5gb of random music, and you check delete files that are not on list, when does MC9 delete those files, it should be the first thing the sync does right?

2) A way to this is within the smartlist idea could be to add a percent of total space of portable device as a parameter of the Limit: variable.  Then you could create a hierarchy of SL whereas the base lists specifiy the amount of space used, whether it be by genre, date, etc.  So when you go to sync, the first thing it does is determine the size of portable device, adjust the smartlists, delete the files no longer on smartlist and then sync.

What do you think?

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2003, 09:30:37 am »

CptanPanic,

In regards to (1), yes the files are deleted first.

In regards to (2), after thinking about this, I think a better idea than adding to the plug-in is to do this with MC 9. Here is how.....

1) Create a Playlist that is limited to 5 GB of files (Add a rule with limit results to 5 GB)

2) Add a View Filter (from the toolbar) that only displays this new playlist.

Now, when you synch you will have a mix of all your smartlists that is limited to 5 GB.

What do you think?

Steve

CptanPanic

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2003, 09:38:42 am »

Yes your idea for #2 is basically the same thing I said except having to hardcode the size of the playlist instead of using a percentage.  Would even be nice to have for one list "use rest of available space"

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2003, 11:59:09 am »

CptanPanic,

Just to be clear, I was saying that you can do this already in MC, it does not need to be added. Can you try it out and let me know if it does what you need?

Thanks,

Steve

CptanPanic

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2003, 12:08:02 pm »

I understand that what you mentioned is already in MC9.  I am just putting in a request for the limit percentage feature.  
Thanks.
Bri

SteveG

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2003, 01:04:52 pm »

Got it. Thanks.

Steve

CptanPanic

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2003, 06:50:25 am »

Had a thought for an easy way to implement this.  How about similar to the playlist item for the smartlist filter, how about a way to return the size of a playlist?  
ie Limit: (5gb - SizeOf: Playlist1)

I am not even sure you can nest items like that now, but just a thought.

Thanks and MC9 is working perfectly for me now.
Bri

SteveG

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2003, 09:43:45 am »

Bri,

Sorry, I don't follow the suggestion. Could  you describe in text what the rule would be? (i.e. "All files from Playlist 1 and Playlist 2 but less than 5 GB of files")

CptanPanic

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2003, 10:56:33 am »

Ok
Limit: (5gb - SizeOf: Playlist1)

Make the size limit of a Playlist  equal the difference between 5gb and the size of Playlist 1.

SteveG

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2003, 11:25:33 am »

So what you want is to create a Playlist or Playlists that for sure will go to iPod and then you want MC to fill in the rest of the space up to 5 GB?

CptanPanic

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2003, 12:15:15 pm »

So what you want is to create a Playlist or Playlists that for sure will go to iPod and then you want MC to fill in the rest of the space up to 5 GB?

Exactly.  
Is that doable?

SteveG

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2003, 07:42:35 am »

You can do it now, but not in a particularly clever way.

MC sends the Playlists/ Smartlists to iPod in alphabetical order. As long as your "must have" playlists are alphabetically before other playlists, they will be sent before the other files.

I think this problem is still best solved by creating a smartlist that gets the files you want within the space limitation. Start with the rule that limits the space to 5 GB and then start adding playlists and files to get what you want and then send it.

The other solution would be to create an interface option that would allow the user to select what order the Playlists are sent.  The order that the playlists are sent is of primary importance because during a sync the files will send until the space is used up.  This seems unnecessarily complicated to me.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up