INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Low-pass / High-pass filters not "sounding" as expected... What's the problem?  (Read 670 times)

AndreaT

• World Citizen

Hello,
I am new in MC28 DSP Studio and I experience a very unexpected issue: the Low-pass / High-pass filters do not "acustically" play well as I would expect.

I implemented in DSP Studio a simple 3-way active cross-over copying the filters config from my favorite Thuneau Allocator (VST plulg-in not anymore supported by the manufacturer). Also the relative phase alignments have been copied.

However, at the listening test, the DSP Studio Parametric EQ implementation "plays horrible", while using the VST Thuneau Allocator (added as element to DSP Studio) it plays great as expected.

Because math is not an opinion, both implementations should have to play well, almost identically, so I really cannot understand what's going wrong.

Anyone around having strong expertise and knowledge on the DSP Studio Parametric EQ implementation?

Thanks and regards,
Andrea

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

You can measure it yourself using https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Verifying_DSP_Studio

Post your peq config and can comment further, there are some known issues with certain pass filters (and known workarounds)

AndreaT

• World Citizen

Hello Mattkhan,
herein attached the DSP config I tested and the Allocator screenshot of the 3-way xover I want to have:
- Subwoofer (Low-pass): 75Hz 36dB/oct, volume -10dB, delay 0ms, inverted phase
- Bass (band-pass): 75Hz 36dB/oct - 300Hz 18dB/oct, vol 0dB, delay 17.91ms
- ESL (high-pass): 300Hz 24dB/oct, vol 0dB, delay 18.07ms

At the moment I added Thuneau Allocator VST plug-in and I am using it ... that's wonderfull...
However it would be nice to have the DSP Studio working fine as well

Regards, Andrea

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team

your shared DSP config has a +20dB Q=1 at 20Hz which presumably isn't meant to be there (given the posted pic)

AndreaT

• World Citizen

Hello mattkhan, sorry, the picture I posted is just to show is not the effective. The dsp setup is correct. Tomorrow I will post the effective Thuneau Allocator setup picture.

The problem I am having is about "listening audio quality". The sound is horrible even if at an instrument level it appears good (I got an excellent flat response).
So I think the problem(s) are more in the phase or time alignement... Or something else.
Yesterday I made a very simple Dsp configuration with Thuneau Allocator and the convolver.
It sounds quite good only if convolution filter is very simple (4 to 7 eqs).
Regards, Andrea

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team

you can measure all of those things using the link I provided earlier, I suggest you follow that approach and see if you measure any difference. If you can't then that only really leaves clipping as a possibility I can think of.
Pages: [1]   Go Up