INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Output Mode Problems  (Read 951 times)

Joe Karnes

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Audio Output Mode Problems
« on: March 19, 2003, 06:59:46 am »

I have a Creative Extigy external sound card and when I select Wave Out in Playback the sound quality is very good but  there is no sound from the rear speakers.  I can then select Direct Sound  and the sound quality is very very bad but both the front and rear speakers have sound.  I do have the latest software and drivers for my sound card and both front and rear speakers have worked with some previous versions of MC.  Thank you for any help or suggestions to correct this problem.  
Joe Karnes

Media Center Registered 9.0.129 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium II 455 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 392 MB, Free - 121 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive D: HP       CD-Writer+ 9700k   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:6  MaxSpeed:16  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
 Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: None

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Audio Output Mode Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2003, 03:16:29 pm »

Joe,
I also have Creative Extigy and all six of my speakers are going now. I am using "Direct Sound" but Wave Out works as well. Did you look in "Creative Audio Mixer" to see what your playback settings were?
It can get kind of tricky coordinating Creative, Windows and Media Center.
Also, let Extigy decode to multiple speakers. Set MC "Output Format" (in DSP Studio) to "source" for all three options.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

Joe Karnes

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Audio Output Mode Problems
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2003, 03:52:24 am »

CVIII,

Thank you very much for your reply and suggestions.
I have my sound card set up with two speakers and a subwoofer connected to the front speaker out and a stero receiver with four  surround speakers in a seprate room connected to the rear speaker out.  This setup has worked with MJB and some versions of MC using the Extigy Sound Card and previously with an internal sound card that came with my computer by using a Y splitter from the Speaker out on the back of the computer.

In Creative Audio Mixer, I have tried all settings from Auto to 5.1 and I am sorry but I don't know what you mean by let Extigy decode to mutiple speakers, I could not find where to make that selection.

I have set Output Mode to source in DPS Studio for all three options and I still get good sound quality from the front speakers with waveout and poor sound quality from front and rear speakers with direct sound.  I have also installed MC ver 9.0.131.

Thank you again for your help.  Joe Karnes
Pages: [1]   Go Up