INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with 2.1 and Dirac  (Read 790 times)

aseimel

Problem with 2.1 and Dirac
« on: March 03, 2022, 11:07:55 am »

Hello Everyone,

I am currently testing JRiver 29. I have 2.1 setup that is corrected with Dirac live multi-channel standalone. I output from JRiver using WASAPI into the dirac live virtual sound card. The Dirac digital sound card is set up as a 96khz 2.1 device and my settings outputs settings look as follows:

While to the best of my knowledge I thought this setup should be correct I always get an error:

This is strange because it shouldn''t be six but three channels. With any other setup I tried for testing 3.1, 5.1 it shows the correct number of channels in the error message but when set it up as 2.1 the error shows 6 six channels. This seem pretty odd to me. Is this a bug or do I have a mistake in my settings?

Edit: the error message says Direct sound because I tried this a possible fix but I get the same error for WASAPI

Thank you in advance.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Problem with 2.1 and Dirac
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2022, 11:26:15 am »

2.1 output will actually use six channels and just fill three of them.  This is because the 5.1 format is a standard.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

AGAWA

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2022, 12:05:27 pm »

try the following:
set output channels to 5.1
tick the box : for stereo sources , only mix to 2.1
set channels back to 2.1
and see what you get.
This trick works for my 4 speaker setup.

aseimel

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2022, 12:16:28 pm »

Thank you for the quick responses.

2.1 output will actually use six channels and just fill three of them.  This is because the 5.1 format is a standard.

Why is it like this for 2.1 but not 3.1? Because if I set it to 3.1 the error message shows 4 not 6 channels.

try the following:
set output channels to 5.1
tick the box : for stereo sources , only mix to 2.1
set channels back to 2.1
and see what you get.
This trick works for my 4 speaker setup.

I tried this but unfortunately it didn't work  :-\

aseimel

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2022, 04:01:55 pm »

Ok so I tried using the VST3 plugin instead and got it to work with 3.1 channels and the I move the center to the LR but I am pretty sure that is adding unnecessary up- and down mixing to the chain. The problem is that that the 2.1 setting is seen as a 6-channel output. That causes an error because my Motu only has 4 outputs. The 3.1 setting on the other hand is only seen as a 4-channel output so I cannot really imagine that this is this really intentional. It would really prohibit the use of a lot of audio interfaces.
Pages: [1]   Go Up