INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP/QUERY - Moving Files to Another Drive  (Read 1440 times)

nila

HELP/QUERY - Moving Files to Another Drive
« on: March 19, 2003, 07:40:01 am »

Hello all :)

First - Sorry Jim if I go a bit overboard sometimes - couldn't apologise in the other thread as you closed it. :)
If I had the millions I'd give but I'll have to wait a few years :)

I just use MJ daily for a LOT of hours and so have all kinds of crazy ideas - dont take them all too seriously.
I just suggest the ideas and it's up to you guys to use them. I'm not usually tryin to be super pushy - just a few things like the menu I use a LOT and so really effect me depending on the layout. With the rest it's usually just like a case of: Here's something I thought of - if it's easy to implement it might be a good feature to add to let you guys stay one up.

Anyway - back to the subject :)

I just got a new drive today - 185Gb - WAHEY!! - Birthday present to myself with the cash I got for my birthday a few weeks back.

I want to move ALL my music to the new drive as the other drive that had my music on is now full and overflowed onto other drives.

If I move all the files accross Manually it's the best for me obviously as I can then move the folder, it's playlist, image files, .sfv files etc all over easily and tidily and quickly.
How will this work with MJ though?
When I re-import all my tracks I'm going to loose: number of times played, last played time, imported time, etc. etc.

I dont want to loose all this Info.
Is there any easy way to do this?

nila

Re: HELP/QUERY - Moving Files to Another Drive
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2003, 08:32:19 am »

Aah,
Problem/Bug
I just tried doing a find and replace on filename to change:  N:\Full Albums  to  O:\mp3s\Full Albums and it's copying all my songs over :(
  • I only wanted it to do a tag change not move the files.
  • It resulted in the screen not re-painting while it was trying to change 6000 songs (move them).
  • It was impossible to see or click the cancel button (I pressed space to try to make it push the button without seeing it but nothing happened) ESC did nothing either.

This should purely be a database changing operating. If I wanted to move all the files I'd have used the Copy/Move tool.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2003, 08:43:29 am »

If you don't want MC to move the files, move them outside of MC and then use the same tool to reestablish the links.

Otherwise, just let MC move them.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

nila

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2003, 08:53:54 am »

Ok,
I'm gonna copy them all to the new drive.
I'll then use Computer Manager to change the drive letter on the old drive.
Then use the Find and Replace tool to do this again.
Should that work? I just dont want to risk loosing any more albums. :(

Also - I'd request that this is only a db changing tool not a file moving tool, you already have a tool built into MJ for doing that, but otherwise, it should at least give a warning that it's planning to move all the files.

nila

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2003, 09:05:36 am »

And Matt - I posted this to the current build thread too but I'm gonna post it here just as it directly relates to this.

I crashed out of MJ when it started trying to move all my files .
At least one full album has gone missing and I'm not sure if any individual files have too.
All the mp3's for one folder (album) are now gone.

It was an unreleased 2 pac one and so I'd REALLY like to try get it back as it was never sold in the shops.

Does MJ copy the files to any temp dir. or anything when it's moving them? anywhere I could look for these files or any copy of them?

nila

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2003, 09:18:24 am »

?
Two albums  missing so far - here's my system info:

Media Center Registered 9.0.130 -- C:\Program Files\Media Center 9\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1666 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 586 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive I:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive J:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   chord.wav

Burning /  Drive I: LITE-ON  LTR-52246S         Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:52  MaxSpeed:52  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
 Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: None

This is scary - anything else you need to know that might help work it out? :(

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2003, 09:22:30 am »

Nila,
This doesn't sound like an MC problem.  We've got our hands full with program issues.  Please try to work it out on your own.

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up