INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Determines the Order of Stacked Images?  (Read 1499 times)

elprice7345

• World Citizen
What Determines the Order of Stacked Images?
« on: March 06, 2022, 04:19:08 pm »

Can anyone tell me what determines the order of "stacked" images?

I have movies with extras that are grouped together (see the attached image).

I would like the main movie image to display on top of the stack.

In this example, Code 8 displays correctly, but Free Guy doesn't.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: What Determines the Order of Stacked Images?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 05:37:10 am »

The Stack Top is determined by which file you right-click on when selecting the 'Stack' command. So to fix the stack you need to first unstack, then select the files you want to stack, right-click on the one you want to be the top and select 'stack'.

The remaining files are added to the stack ordered by their fileKey. There are hidden fields called [Stack Top] and [Stack Files] that store this information, but AFAIK they cannot be changed directly.

elprice7345

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2022, 11:30:04 pm »

Thanks for the reply @zybex!

I just upgraded to MC29. Let me test with the new version and see if this addresses my question.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2022, 02:01:06 am »

The Stack Top is determined by which file you right-click on when selecting the 'Stack' command. So to fix the stack you need to first unstack, then select the files you want to stack, right-click on the one you want to be the top and select 'stack'.

The remaining files are added to the stack ordered by their fileKey. There are hidden fields called [Stack Top] and [Stack Files] that store this information, but AFAIK they cannot be changed directly.
You don't need to 'unstack'. You only need to expand the stack, right click on the one you want to be 'top' and from the menu, click on "Stacks > Set as Stack Top"

A couple of older stack related posts some might find useful:
Stacks Explained
A view for managing stacks

Now, with all that said, I do not think any of this will help elprice7345, because....
From the the screenshot in the first post, I think they are talking about the MC feature that displays "Fanned Thumbnails" which, as far as I am aware, is something we have no control over in Theater View, and can only be either on or off in standard view, via the view header menu.

-marko

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2022, 06:16:28 pm »

From the the screenshot in the first post, I think they are talking about the MC feature that displays "Fanned Thumbnails" which, as far as I am aware, is something we have no control over in Theater View, and can only be either on or off in standard view, via the view header menu.
Looks like "Fanned Thumbnails" to me as well.

When I hover my mouse over Fanned Thumbnails in a Standard View of image files or albums by artist for example, the fan cycles through the images.  Then quickly move the mouse off the fan at the image I want on top, and it sticks.  Seems to stick until the next time I hover.  The image order in the cycles agrees with the order in which the images are sorted in the view. 

However Theater View seems to behave differently - apparently no cycling when hovering mouse in Theater View.  Instead, my top image in Theater View is the same as top image I selected in the corresponding Standard View.  That may solve the OP's issue.

But maybe this also calls for a Feature Request (or option):  Make Fanned Thumbnails in Theater View behave same as in Standard View.

elprice7345

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2022, 01:47:17 am »

Thanks for the help folks!

The appearance I'm trying to fix is in the theater view, so it seems the proper term is "Fanned Thumbnails".

If I create a stack with the movie and its extras, I can make the movie poster appear on top in my library view as long as the files are stacked and it carries over to the Theater View.

The problem with that solution is the extras are now hidden in both the library and Theater views. :(

If I unstack the files, I can see the extras, but the file image I selected as the top image disappears and I'm back to my original problem.

Something must be determining the order of the fanned thumbnails, because the fanned thumbnails are different for different movies.

elprice7345

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2023, 10:15:17 pm »

Any help on this?

Perhaps a fix?
Pages: [1]   Go Up