INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping 4K UHD movies  (Read 878 times)

Harroun4

• World Citizen
Ripping 4K UHD movies
« on: March 09, 2022, 06:04:07 pm »

Am hoping the following info will be helpful to some.

My computers here are not compatible the common drives that are advertised as for 4K UHD discs. The CPUs do not have the GSX capability (if I got the acronym correct). So I am out of luck to rip those discs.

Am ripping about 2500 movies now and have 6 optical drives to speed up the process. One of drives is Pioneer BDR-XD07UHD Portable 6X, was not paying attention and inserted a 4K UHD disc and it ripped successfully. Even in testing the HDR feature worked. I have not installed any additional programs or drivers. This device appears to be PnP.

Have tried this on two very different computers. And ripping with MKV standard.

Cheers, Harroun

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Ripping 4K UHD movies
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 06:53:18 pm »

Thanks for sharing!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2022, 09:35:55 pm »

MakeMKV now supports some Pio UHD drives. 
JRiver CEO Elect

Harroun4

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2022, 11:34:23 pm »

Thanks for the info. Right now I am limited as have only one drive to test with. With my drive now it takes about 30 to 60 minutes to rip one disc and then can test. Have ordered up 3 more and I will have more flexibility. I did try starting one test using AnyDVD and it looked like it would work. It seems I spend most my time waiting for things to finish. Or maybe I try to do too many things at the same time.

I am looking at Pioneer Electronics BDR-212UBK which is a fast unit and could speed up things. My worry is that it may not work the same as smaller unit.

More, later, Harroun

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2022, 01:39:11 am »

AnyDVD also now uses makemkv's "LibreDrive" to enable support for selected Pio and LG based drives.  I don't know about the 212UBK (check over on the MakeMKV forum), but it certainly works on the 211M
JRiver CEO Elect

Harroun4

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2022, 03:49:50 am »

Greatly appreciate you helping me understand this. This year I will be 80 years old and my brain struggles to understand at times.

In the past I tried to learn about libredrives and only got confused. Now thanks to you found a very good page with pertinent info. From this all the Pioneer drives we talked about already have the libre thing installed. Question: is flashing the drive all this is required? So the drive will take care of itself without user action??

I have a LG WH16NS60 here that should have worked with 4K UHD discs, but it does not work with any disc at all, including music CD. If I was flash this with libre firmware would that likely make it work??

Would you know when flashing the libre firmware does the replace the manufactures firmware or is this in addition to that?

That page says this "WH16NS40 on any Firmware directly to > WH16NS60 1.02MK". It indicates this will unlock the drive to read UHD discs. Does that sound correct? Am very worried about spoiling my drives. If it does, it would be nice to make all my optical drives here compatible with 4K UHD.

Have you ever flashed your drives, would be interest in your experiences. It has been several years since I have done that.

PS: It looks like we reside on the same side of the earth, I am retired in Bangkok.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2022, 04:50:37 am »

I did cross flash my LG drives with the ASUS firmware years ago to make them a bit faster..... but I did not need to flash any of my drives (including the PIO) to support UHD ripping.  I'd not suggest flashing is needed, but instead just buy drives that MakeMKV supports.  When you run MakeMKV it will show what it supports under the "LibreDrive Information" panel.  I'm in a similar time zone (Sydney).
JRiver CEO Elect

Harroun4

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2022, 07:30:49 pm »

Thank you so much for the assistance. I believe old age is hindering me to get a good picture of this before take actions.

When you do the flashing, are you using manufacturers uploading program? I have the MKV files, now to know which software to use.

A different subject. Have ripped about 2500 movies now and have been re-titling especially the multi episode titles. On the original discs episodes can be in ascending order, descending order, or random. Multi disc sets are not always loaded in the same order between different discs. This is a tedious process to get the order correct. My thought  or suggestion is could someone come up with a way to share this meta data the same as we do for music CD's. (without retitling it is impossible to know which ones have watched or even the current one).

Thanks again for assistance.

PS: I am a retired ships engineer with 30+ years sea time. Your country for some reason is one of the few I have not called at in the world. I do not know how many times I have sailed completely around the world. Most of the times through both Suez and Panama canals. And one time around Africa after the 1967 war. 30 days with out seeing land or another ships is arduous. That can bring out the worst of our personalities.
Pages: [1]   Go Up