INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pane view display rules comparing fields, how?  (Read 607 times)

stubbo

• Recent member
Pane view display rules comparing fields, how?
« on: March 10, 2022, 07:59:37 am »

I've tried about everything I can think of for this, and come up blank....so resorting to asking instead!

I have a number of custom fields in my database I use for things like different spellings of artists names, and I want to create a Pane View that lists all of those tracks where the artist is not the same as my custom field.

In this case my custom field is called "Artist List".

So I'm trying all of this in the pane customisation dialog, Include Files ... Set rules for file display, as that sets the rules for the pane.

You can't seem to use standard rules as they only seem to compare the database library fields actual values, not other fields values, so I am trying to write a custom rule.

I've tried -[Artist]=[Artist List] which returns everything, does no filtering at all, it seems to treat [Artist List] as a literal.

I tried -isEqual([Artist],[Artist List]) which returned nothing at all, and broke the rule out into two separate custom rules.

I tried -compare([Artist],[Artist List],0) which returned everything again, no filtering at all.

I've tried with and without the - sign to not the expression around and that appears not to do anything at all.

I've also tried this in the search dialogue as they appear to follow the same rules, but can't get that to work either.

Any Gurus any ideas? Thanks

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Pane view display rules comparing fields, how?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2022, 09:27:49 am »

It would be helpful to see some examples of these fields and their values.  "Artist List" implies multiple values, which won't ever be "equal to" the Artist field with a single value.  But that's just an assumption as I can't seen any examples.

Also, can you describe what you will achieve when you are able to make this filter work?  I.E., it will let you find mistakes in artists, or find artists that should have alternate spellings that do not, etc.

Brian.

stubbo

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2022, 09:44:57 am »

I have for example...

[Artist] John Foxx [Artist List] Foxx, John
[Artist] The Human League [Artist List] Human League, The
[Artist] Japan [Artist List] Japan
[Artist] David Sylvian [Artist List] Japan; Sylvian, David
[Artist] John Foxx & Harold Budd [Artist List] Foxx, John; Budd, Harold

I need to get the basic comparison working first, that would drop Japan from the list for example as both entries match, then I can add MoveArticles which would also drop The Human League from the list.

With over 100K tracks in my library I want to filter out all of the matches so I can check all of my [Artist List] entries are correct for the [Artist entry]

I realise both are list fields, but can they be referred to as whole strings rather than list for the filtering view? And then how can I compare the two fields for matches.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2022, 10:14:34 am »

Custom Rule:
Code: [Select]
[=IsEqual([Artist],[Artist List])]=0Will only show not matching
Code: [Select]
[=IsEqual([Artist],[Artist List])]=1Will show matching.

You can add new panel category search list and make eg "Hide Matches" and "Show Matches" filters to quickly see either group or both

stubbo

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2022, 10:19:58 am »

Ah, I knew I had to be close.....thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up