INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: App icon style (small nitpick)  (Read 1059 times)

YogiPL

• Recent member
App icon style (small nitpick)
« on: March 11, 2022, 03:48:01 am »

Hi, just a small nitpick.

Since I think MacOS 11 apple has changed the app icon guidelines : https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/macos/icons-and-images/app-icon/

The MediaCenter icon looks bigger in dock than other application icons (see attachment) because it still uses the old style I think?

Not a priority issue of course, just something you might consider updating :)

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: App icon style (small nitpick)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2022, 09:05:50 am »

Never noticed that before!
Looking at my dock, I see it now. Pretty subtle. But on my dock, MC, Wireshark, VLC, Forklift are all slightly taller.

YogiPL

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2022, 09:18:46 am »

Yeah, not all apps moved to the new format yet - I also have a couple that are larger besides MC although ForkLifts icon (using version 3.5.4) is consistent with other apple ones on my system :)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2022, 01:26:56 pm »

Yeah, not all apps moved to the new format yet - I also have a couple that are larger besides MC although ForkLifts icon (using version 3.5.4) is consistent with other apple ones on my system :)
Do you have a link to any documentation on this?
I added the missing hi-res icons images but it doesn't look like the size is changing.

YogiPL

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2022, 01:39:42 pm »

I have my own small app that I wrote a while back - a network control tool for Pioneer (and others using same protocol) AV receiver so I can switch inputs from macos instead of using a remote. As far as I remember I used templates from here:

https://developer.apple.com/design/resources/#macos-apps

I was able to create an .icns file that worked in Sketch.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2022, 03:07:12 pm »

Looking at my dock, I see it now. Pretty subtle. But on my dock, MC, Wireshark, VLC, Forklift are all slightly taller.

Forklift!!!!

I just discovered it about 3 months ago and completely obsessed over it for weeks.  I'm a Mac user, but I'm rather atypical.  I don't really like quite a few of the core Mac things.  I'm also one of the many people that don't like Finder.

Forklift is a godsend!  It's so much more logical.  So much more usable.  In fact, I used it today to migrate my Resource.xml and all of my Skins from MC28 to MC29.  Pressing F5 to copy files between panes is SO MUCH BETTER than drag and drop.

I'm way off topic, so that's it for now...

Brian.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2022, 03:40:06 pm »

Forklift!!!!

I just discovered it about 3 months ago and completely obsessed over it for weeks.  I'm a Mac user, but I'm rather atypical.  I don't really like quite a few of the core Mac things.  I'm also one of the many people that don't like Finder.

Forklift is a godsend!  It's so much more logical.  So much more usable.  In fact, I used it today to migrate my Resource.xml and all of my Skins from MC28 to MC29.  Pressing F5 to copy files between panes is SO MUCH BETTER than drag and drop.

Brian.
I use forklift as a S3 client, most MC non-windows stuff is uploaded with it.
It works really well with the exception of a few small things that could be better.
1) It doesn't save the S3 password.
2) You can't cloudfront invalidate with it.
3) When copying things from one bucket to another it goes down to your Mac and back up, cloudberry will allow bucket to bucket copies.

Otherwise it's pretty cool.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2022, 03:41:36 pm »

I have my own small app that I wrote a while back - a network control tool for Pioneer (and others using same protocol) AV receiver so I can switch inputs from macos instead of using a remote. As far as I remember I used templates from here:

https://developer.apple.com/design/resources/#macos-apps

I was able to create an .icns file that worked in Sketch.
Thanks for that link!

HaWi

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2022, 10:05:28 am »

Forklift!!!!

Brian.
I have the same issue with Finder. I'm using Pathfinder, which might be similar to Forklift
rPi5/8GB, Debian 12 Bookworm on SSD | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 2699
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 3764
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 9235
Docker Container (shiomax) DS1819+ | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 1430
JRemote 3.43
MO 4Media 1.5.7 | Marantz SR7007 (RSL 5.1) HDMI to MacBookPro

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2022, 08:46:47 am »

I have the same issue with Finder. I'm using Pathfinder, which might be similar to Forklift

Yes, PathFinder is similar to ForkLift.  I think PathFinder overall does more.  But I found it to be a bit more confusing in its layout and interface.  I'm sure I could have gotten used to it.   I just liked ForkLift better during my evaluation.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up