INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Subtitle shift into black bars  (Read 584 times)

flac.rules

• Citizen of the Universe
Subtitle shift into black bars
« on: March 11, 2022, 03:15:12 pm »

I want the subtitles to shift into the black bars, but I seem to get inconsistent results, some times it does, others it seems to stop just "on top" of the black bar, even if shifted to the maximum. It is also inconsistent with the same file, sometimes it doesn't shift far enough down, but it does if i stop and start againg. None of the files have hard-coded black bars, any idea on how to fix this? I notice the subtitles move when the seek bar is there, so there is some kind of modification based on other screen elements, can that cause it to not go into the black bar area?

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: Subtitle shift into black bars, inconsistent results
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2022, 04:06:23 pm »

Are you using JRVR? Subtitle moving should be working relatively consistently for it. madVR does the moving itself, we have no influence on it, and with RO Standard it'll probably not work.
JRVR will also try to generally match subtitles to a full 16:9 frame, even if its cropped, so moving should typically not be required, no matter if a video includes black bars, or was cropped.

In general, only plain text subtitles can be moved. Bitmap subtitles, or complex text subtitles (ASS) cannot be moved reliably.

If you are using JRVR and its not rendering them to the bottom of the frame, a sample might be useful to see whats going on exactly.
I've also already made some changes for the next build to ensure the subtitle renderer is always working with the correct information on the window size and video size. I'm not certain if that was an issue, but its definitely more correct this way.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

flac.rules

Re: Subtitle shift into black bars, inconsistent results
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2022, 07:53:08 am »

Are you using JRVR? Subtitle moving should be working relatively consistently for it. madVR does the moving itself, we have no influence on it, and with RO Standard it'll probably not work.
JRVR will also try to generally match subtitles to a full 16:9 frame, even if its cropped, so moving should typically not be required, no matter if a video includes black bars, or was cropped.

In general, only plain text subtitles can be moved. Bitmap subtitles, or complex text subtitles (ASS) cannot be moved reliably.

If you are using JRVR and its not rendering them to the bottom of the frame, a sample might be useful to see whats going on exactly.
I've also already made some changes for the next build to ensure the subtitle renderer is always working with the correct information on the window size and video size. I'm not certain if that was an issue, but its definitely more correct this way.

I tried with both JRVR and ROHQ, neither seems to be 100% consistent.

Not sure what is a "frame" here? The size of the monitor? The display is 16:9, but the video is usually 1:2.35, if the frame is the hole display, i want it to be on the bottom (outside the picture). I will try the next version, and see if i can find out anything more, I am unsure if a sample is helpful as the same file can do it "correctly" (or the way i want it), or "incorrectly" from one playback to the other. Thanks for the help, as mentioned i will try to gather som more information, I understand it is difficult to say anything with such limited information about the problem.

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: Subtitle shift into black bars
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2022, 08:43:44 am »

Hopefully the inconsistency is resolved next build then, as I made sure to update the subtitle information more consistently when it changes in the renderer, before it could be prone to a race condition.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up