INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Full screen video timeline behavior  (Read 1548 times)

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Full screen video timeline behavior
« on: March 12, 2022, 06:04:17 am »

In MC, when you move the mouse to the top of the screen, during full screen video playback, a timeline appears.  In previous versions of MC, as you click on this timeline, you can jump the video position to where you want it and the timeline stays in place.  This is very helpful as it may take several tries for you to find the spot on the timeline that you are trying to jump to.

In later versions (at least MC28 and MC29), the timeline still works, but it immediately disappears when you click on it to jump time.  In order to try again, you have to wave the mouse around a bit in order to make the timeline appear again.  Then you can try once more.

Is this behavior controllable with an Option?  If not, would you consider bringing back the older behavior?

Thank you,
Brian.

edbro

Re: Full screen video timeline behavior
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 07:40:43 am »

I have also found the controls to be problematic. Sometimes I have to bounce the cursor off the top of the screen several times just to get it to appear. Sometimes it doesn't. I'd like to see the control dialog appear whenever the mouse is moved anywhere on the screen, similar to VLC behavior.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 12:10:45 pm »

It's probably just the timeout not being used.
The old code was broken in that it didn't display the help text when the screen first started.
I'll take a look when I get a chance. Bump this if you don't hear back in for a while..

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2022, 02:07:58 pm »

It's probably just the timeout not being used.
The old code was broken in that it didn't display the help text when the screen first started.
I'll take a look when I get a chance. Bump this if you don't hear back in for a while..

"Help text" ?  Do you mean the timeline that appears at the top of the screen?  That's what I'm trying to reference.

Thanks,
Brian.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2022, 02:37:19 pm »

"Help text" ?  Do you mean the timeline that appears at the top of the screen?  That's what I'm trying to reference.

Thanks,
Brian.
No, the text that shows up briefly when you first start playing a video the first time since MC29 was started.

We just did a bit of testing here and that timeline mouse interaction is the same as in windows for us.
If you leave the cursor on the timeline it stays up for about 5 seconds, if you move it away it closes the timeline immediately.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2022, 02:57:10 pm »

What happens when you click in the timeline to jump to an arbitrary spot?  On my versions, the timeline disappears as soon as I click.

Brian.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2022, 04:34:19 pm »

What happens when you click in the timeline to jump to an arbitrary spot?  On my versions, the timeline disappears as soon as I click.

Brian.
Same here. When I bump the cursor up to the top, it's back for 5 seconds.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2022, 05:25:34 am »

It would be wonderful if the timeline stayed around after being clicked on.  When trying to find a particular spot in a video file, it's quite awkward to make the timeline come back, click, bring the timeline back, click again, etc until I find the right place.

This used to be the normal behavior.  The last version I have a copy of that works in the "better" way was MC25.  I don't have 26 or 27 so I can't test them.

Thanks,
Brian.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2022, 05:46:00 am »

blgentry - try hovering your mouse slightly to the left of the top right corner of the screen and when the player controls put in an appearance click on it's maximise button - that should switch into Display + Player Bar View - once you have used the timeline to get to where you want to be in the video simply click on the minimise button to go back to Standard Display View
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2022, 09:39:06 am »

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'm really looking for a more elegant solution that doesn't require so much fiddling around. 

The older behavior was intuitive, obvious, convenient, and easy.  If that behavior can't or won't come back then I'll look into your proposed workaround.

Thanks again,
Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2022, 08:21:22 am »

Any more thoughts on maybe changing this back?

Thanks,
Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2022, 09:30:26 am »

I see 29.0.25 has this change:

Code: [Select]
17. Changed: OSD was difficult to bring up while playing video in Display View. Now any mouse movement will bring it up.
I installed that a few hours ago and tested.  It's easier to bring up the timeline now I think, but not super easy.  You still need to be in a narrow space in the top 1/5 or 1/6 of the screen.  More importantly the timeline disappears as soon as you click on it and then the mouse needs to be waved around to make it come back. 

It would be wonderful if the timeline stayed in place as long as the mouse was focused on it.  Again, the same as how it worked back in MC25.

Thanks for reading my suggestion.

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2022, 12:48:55 pm »

Any thoughts plus or minus on changing this to work like it used to?  I can't see any advantage to the new behavior.  I'm guessing it is more of an accident than an intentional feature.

Thanks,
Brian.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2022, 04:17:09 pm »

It won't be going backwards. I'm still working on it but dealing with a theater view issue right now.

blgentry

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2022, 08:30:46 am »

Ok, thanks for the acknowledgement.  I'll just wait for a while then.

Thanks,
Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2022, 05:54:28 am »

It's been about a month, so I thought I would bump this.

Thanks,
Brian.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2022, 03:43:23 pm »

Give the latest build a try.

blgentry

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2022, 08:30:13 am »

Whahoo!

29.0.50 has fixed the timeline click behavior.  It works wonderfully again!

Thanks Bob!  (and thanks to anyone else who may have worked on it)

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up