INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Letter, GroupCount and List Fields .... filtering only on first list entry  (Read 741 times)

stubbo

• Recent member

Hi,

I've finally finished creating a new list field (Artist List)  so I can leave Artist alone and create a field containing a ; separated list of all the artists and any various attributions, and that works very well.

For example Soft Cell;Almond, Marc; Ball, David

Now I use panes exclusively, I just prefer that view, and I've created a pane with 2 columns, Initials where I'm using Letter([Artist List]) (GroupCount([Artist List]) which gives me the initial and a count of how many different artist there are with that initial, so if I select the initial I get everything beginning with A for example.

Now I realise when I select an initial I get not only the matches to those starting with A, but also all other artists in the list for those selected titles....I get that.

But what I don't understand is why I don't see all the titles for the Artist beginning with A.

If I leave all initials selected, and scroll down to Almond, Marc I have 139 titles. But if I select A from the first list, then scroll down to Almond, Marc I only get a list of 43 titles.

Also, if I select an artist that is not the first artist in my Artist List for any record, then they do not appear at all in the list of artists when I select the initial for that artist.

Am I correct in saying that the Letter function is ONLY working on the first artist in a list field (Artist List in my case) and is ignoring all other entries in the list.

As I understand the panes view, the list carries over from left to right, so even if you find an artist, unless the titles matched the search criteria from the first column (initial in this case) it isn't included in the filtered and formatted results in subsequent columns.

So my question therefore is, how I use the Letter function on a list field to include all elements of that list in the output from that function, and therefore keep all the titles in the selection set for the subsequent list panes?

The artist pane if no prefiltering is done obviously lists all entries in the list, can the letter function be made to do that as well, or a variation of it? Or is there a function that can achieve the same result as Letter and retain all entries from the list?

lepa

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

If I understood correctly (images would help follow description) I think that as you are using expression to filter things MC cannot handle the field as a list automatically. So you could use eg those search list entries for every letter you want to create filter.

Something like this for letter A for example:
Code: [Select]
[=IsEqual(Left(ListMix(If(IsEqual(Letter([L1]),A)),,[Artist List]),1),A)]=1Point is to check the first letter of every artist inside Artist List and if any of those starts with 'A' then show that item when filter A is selected.

stubbo

• Recent member

You can’t use expressions like that in panes as each column on the pane view is independent of the other and I believe they just filter the library left to right, so you can’t use an expression assuming one of the other selections has been made.

I’ve solved so many of my problems with expressions, just can’t find a way around this one.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

You can’t use expressions like that in panes
Of course you can. There is an option to filter both ways. Hope you find a way to achieve what you wanted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up