INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDMI Cables  (Read 1327 times)

bogdanbz

• World Citizen
HDMI Cables
« on: March 18, 2022, 07:28:10 pm »

Please don't set by default "Prefer Maximum Performance" in the nvidia application profile. It unnecessarily forces the GPU frequency to stay higher than it needs to be, which means higher heat production and higher fan noise. I have it on the default setting of "Normal" and everything is fine. There's no point in having 1ms render times, when you have at least 16 ms in the worst case scenario (60 Hz video) for rendering while common 23.976 fps film has 42 ms available for rendering a frame. The driver will adjust the GPU clock higher if there's a need anyway.

I do have another issue new to MC29 to report though. I initially thought I must have imagined it, but it repeated several times now. While watching a movie, sometimes it happens the screen is completely black for 3-4 seconds, while the audio is playing normally in the background. Just as this black screen happened, it suddenly goes away too and the image is back as if nothing happened. If it happens, it doesn't happen more than once during the duration of a movie. And it happens very seldom, like once every two-three days. Has anyone else noticed that?

PS: it could also be my new HDMI cable, which I also changed recently, though it's from the same series, only went from 3m to 1m, and it never happened while not watching movies....

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen
Re: HDMI Cables
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2022, 03:45:27 am »

I read some time ago that HDMI cables can be too short and I did a quick google search on the subject.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/too-short-coaxial-or-hdmi-cable-is-problematic.1387768/

Hardware: Intel Core i5-8600K 16GB RAM, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 8GB DUAL OC
Software: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 2004, JRiver MC 29, MadVr 0.92.17 (Beta 113), NVIDIA driver 457.09
Projector: JVC DLA-I X5500 (RS420, X570R) -
Screen: DNP Supernova 08-85
Processor: Anthem AVM 70
Power amp: XTZ A2-400 for Front & Center - XTZ A2-300 for Surround & Height channels
Speakers: Arendal 1723 S Monitor for Front & Center, Linn Unik for Front Height, Rear Height, Surround & Surround back. Elipson Planet M for Top Middle.
Sub: Arendal 1723 1S

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2022, 07:54:43 am »

bogdanbz,
I split this from the JRVR Testing thread.  Please copy the first part of your message back there.

bogdanbz

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2022, 11:15:30 am »

I don't think this is related to the HDMI cable at all, to be honest, since the only piece of software that's affected is MC. I use the PC the rest of the time, and I don't have that issue with the image going black. It's only when MC is playing, and strangely if I skip forward or backward the image shows up again instantly.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2022, 11:53:52 am »

Windows Defender or another antivirus?

bogdanbz

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2022, 05:24:22 am »

Windows Defender. But I don't think it's relevant. The screen is black, but the audio playback is going on forward without any issue, so it's not a problem of data retrieval stalling. When the image comes back the image is at the right timestamp relative to the new position of audio.

Maybe it's related to the changes to JRVR regarding synchronization to subtitles (and maybe OSD?). I watch all movies with subtitles (English is not my native language, and while I understand it just fine in written form, accents in spoken language throw me off so I have to use subtitles to understand what was said). I believe I once was able to trigger this by trying to change the volume (which is when the OSD shows up) as it happened at that very moment. Despite using the "adaptive sound levelling" feature in MC, sometimes that sound volume is still too loud for night time viewing so I change the volume in MC very often. But the black screen happens randomly, and very very seldom. I just happened to watch a lot of stuff these two weeks every night (often till 2 am  ;D), otherwise I don't think I would have noticed this issue. Overall, I think I run into it it only 4-5 times. That's why I said I thought I was imagining things initially.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2022, 07:49:57 am »

Video driver?

When it happens, is it repeatable?

bogdanbz

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2022, 05:46:24 am »

It's not repeatable. But now I got it once even outside MC29, MC is not responsible.

At this point, I suspect it might be the nvidia video driver, as I saw several reports on their forum in the driver feedback threads that black screen flickering can still occur. I got these black screen flickers after I switched G-SYNC in the driver to be on permanently. I'm going to test with G-SYNC disabled by in the TV, to see if it still happens or not.

woollies66

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2022, 02:18:21 am »

I has exactly the same issue with NViDIA GTX1660. I tried everything - changing nvidia , TV and AV receiver settings - without success

It transpired that it was the HDMI cables I was using. This can be either a) low quality cable or b) Cable run too long (mine was 15m).

I purchased a 4k HDMI cable (3m), temporarily relocated my media server and tested it. The "black" screen cycling stopped, proving that the 15m cable was the issue.

I didn't have the option of reducing the cable run,  after some research I found Fibre optic HMDI cables on Amazon.

Been running 2 since December - 1 to UHD TV and the other to a projector , no "black" screen issues since.

Manfred

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2022, 07:19:36 am »

I do have another issue new to MC29 to report though. I initially thought I must have imagined it, but it repeated several times now. While watching a movie, sometimes it happens the screen is completely black for 3-4 seconds, while the audio is playing normally in the background. Just as this black screen happened, it suddenly goes away too and the image is back as if nothing happened.
I had the same problem last year. After reboot everything usually works.  With MC29, latest NVIDIA and Win10 and LG Web OS Updates I haven't had this problem this year. HDMI Cable length to my TV is 1.5m. The problem appears only on my media renderer connected to my TV. It never happens on my workstation which is also connected via HDMI to a LG PC monitor (original LG HDMI cable, AMD Radeon Graphics).

My guess it's a handshake problem between TV and NVIDIA?
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2022, 08:54:18 am »

I had the same problem last year. After reboot everything usually works.  With MC29, latest NVIDIA and Win10 and LG Web OS Updates I haven't had this problem this year. HDMI Cable length to my TV is 1.5m. The problem appears only on my media renderer connected to my TV. It never happens on my workstation which is also connected via HDMI to a LG PC monitor (original LG HDMI cable, AMD Radeon Graphics).

My guess it's a handshake problem between TV and NVIDIA?
It could be the cable.  Try swapping the two.

bogdanbz

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2022, 10:34:17 am »

The cable is a 8K cable. In my case, I think it's something in the TV now, since I also heard a "sizzle" coming from the TV when it happened once. This TV is not even a year old...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2022, 10:56:46 am »

The cable is a 8K cable. In my case, I think it's something in the TV now, since I also heard a "sizzle" coming from the TV when it happened once. This TV is not even a year old...
Swapping the cables is a good way to test your theory.
Pages: [1]   Go Up