INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with Hauppauge TV  (Read 1340 times)

bigfoot

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Problem with Hauppauge TV
« on: March 13, 2003, 07:33:17 pm »

I can't get the TV tuner to work using my Hauppauge BT878 based WinTV.  These are the steps I have done so far
1. Download the latest WDM drivers from hauppauge, 3.31.20262
2. Run hwclear, removing all drivers and apps
3. Install the WDM drivers
4. Install latest DirectX 9.0
5. Install latest Windows Media Player.
6. Install WDM version of Win TV2000.
(Basically the steps outlined on the Showshifter support site)

The Win TV2000 app works fine.  Also, I use Snap Stream Lite for recording and it works fine.

Whenever I run MC9 TV tuner I get the error "Failed to play TV. (unknown error)".  Also, strangely, after this error my audio is always muted.

Here's System info output:
Media Center Registered 9.0.124 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 3 (Build 2195)
Intel Pentium III 730 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 392 MB, Free - 109 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.6144 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive G:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive G: CREATIVE CD-RW RW8432E      Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:8  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Sure would like to replace Snap Stream so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Problem with Hauppauge TV
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2003, 05:18:35 am »

Whenever I run MC9 TV tuner I get the error "Failed to play TV. (unknown error)".  Also, strangely, after this error my audio is always muted.

MC TV mutes audio during initialization to avoid noises that some devices have. Therefore it is most likely an unexpected failure occured during initialization.

I have a Hauppauge WinTV, and it works fine here. I will however continue looking into this problem.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

bigfoot

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2003, 01:46:06 pm »

Thanks Yaobing.  Any help would be appreciated.

Is it possible for me to get better information than just "Failed to play TV. (unknown error)"?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2003, 07:06:51 pm »

I have looked all over my code trying to find a place where no proper error message is given, but have not found it. It could have come from an unhandled error in the driver. I will have to keep digging. The trouble is I can not even run the program in debugger because of a problem in Hauppauge's driver.

Have you tried the universal Conexant driver?

bigfoot

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2003, 07:29:21 am »

I can try the Conexant driver, again.  I tried this earlier but was not able to get MC9 to work.  But I can't recall if I was diligent about using hwclear before installing the Conexant driver.  If I do this how important is it that I reinstall DirectX and Media Player?

I have noticed in my Snap Stream configuration there is an option to choose the correct DirectShow video source.  There are 2 choices here and only 1 of them works.  Is there a similar configuration in MC9?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2003, 05:17:43 am »

If I do this how important is it that I reinstall DirectX and Media Player?

No. Not Media Player. DirectX should not need to be reinstalled, unless you noticed errors while installing it.

Snap Stream configuration there is an option to choose the correct DirectShow video source

Are you talking about choosing a video capture device, such as "Hauppauge WDM Capture" vs other devices?

For such choice in MC you have to have MC TV successfully started. Maybe this is what your trouble is at. If this is the problem, deleting the following registry key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Jukebox\TV Settings

before starting MC TV will fix it.

bigfoot

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2003, 10:45:50 am »

That was it!

Unfortunately, MC was using a TV configuration it stored before I installed the WDM drivers.  When I went through the re-configuration I was presented with the same 2 video sources as are present inside Snap Streams configuration.  Where does MC get these choices?  I would like to remove the problematic choice.  I think it is a VFW option that has no drivers at the moment.

Thanks for your help.

One last question.  Should I be able to view TV via the media server or is that a future feature?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2003, 11:30:18 am »

That was it!

Whew! I am glad we finally nailed it. Sorry I did not think of it earlier.

When I went through the re-configuration I was presented with the same 2 video sources as are present inside Snap Streams configuration.  Where does MC get these choices?  I would like to remove the problematic choice.  I think it is a VFW option that has no drivers at the moment.

There is no way of removing the bad entry within MC TV. However, if you have multiple GOOD devices that you want to switch among, the place to find them is -

Right-click menu, TV Options->Devices

where you will find a list of video and audio capture devices. Exactly one video device and one audio device should have a check mark before them.

If you selected a bad entry in the list, you will have to delete the registry entries to reset.

MC TV  uses DirectShow API to enumerate all capture devices on the system. Unfortunately old VfW drivers seem to have a way of linger, and be listed as valid devices. I have tried to remove pctvcap.dll from my list to no avail, I would just have to make sure it is never accidentally selected. Going to Device Manager did not help. I wonder if regclean program would clean it out.

Thanks for your help.

You are welcome.

One last question.  Should I be able to view TV via the media server or is that a future feature?

You can not view TV via Media Server. I do not know whether it will be possible in the future.
Pages: [1]   Go Up