INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: can't see my sonos players on M29 (still see them on M28)  (Read 460 times)

john h

• Junior Woodchuck
can't see my sonos players on M29 (still see them on M28)
« on: April 15, 2022, 09:00:03 pm »

Hello.  Longtime user here, haven't had the need to post for years.  Love the product.

I recently upgraded to MC29 from MC28.  When I launch MC29, the app does not show any of my Sonos players under the Player button in Playing Now.  I have waited to see if they connect and show up, but they do not. 

When I close MC29 and launch MC28, all the Sonos players, XBoxes, and TVs show up and I can play my music from MC28 on any/all of the Sonos players.  So I don't think it's a firewall issue?  Is there a setting I need to adjust on MC29 to allow it to find and play all the Sonos players on my network?

Thanks for any guidance.
John
johnh

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: can't see my sonos players on M29 (still see them on M28)
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2022, 09:27:48 pm »

A firewall (or antivirus) may block MC29, but not MC28.

Make sure Media Network is turned on.

john h

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2022, 09:36:45 am »

Thanks, Jim.  I confirmed that Media Network is on.  I checked my Windows Firewall and confirmed that MC29 is an approved program to get through   I don't think I have any other firewalls active, but am looking.

I don't know if this matters: if I shut down MC29 and then start my old version of MC28, I get a Windows prompt asking if I want to allow MC to make changes on the computer.  If I click yes, MC28 starts and I see the sonos/network devices.  I close MC28 and reopen MC29, I get the same prompt asking if I want to allow MC29 to make changes.  If I choose no, the program won't load.  If I choose yes, MC29 installs and I no longer see the devices.

Thanks for any continued suggestions.

John

johnh

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2022, 10:02:12 am »

I don't know if this matters: if I shut down MC29 and then start my old version of MC28, I get a Windows prompt asking if I want to allow MC to make changes on the computer.  If I click yes, MC28 starts and I see the sonos/network devices.  I close MC28 and reopen MC29, I get the same prompt asking if I want to allow MC29 to make changes.  If I choose no, the program won't load.  If I choose yes, MC29 installs and I no longer see the devices.
Yes, it matters.  You must give MC permission.  You're getting close.  The problem is in that area.

john h

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: can't see my sonos players on M29 (still see them on M28) [resolved]
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2022, 07:52:09 pm »

Jim--

Looks like I found it.  When I checked the Windows firewall, it was after I had reverted back to MC28, which apparently had the firewall configured correctly.  So I checked it again after reopening MC29, which tweaked the firewall.  Here's what I saw, in case this happens to anyone else.  Somehow, upon installing and opening MC29, it created two different entries for MC29 in the "allowed apps" list for Windows firewall, and one had the box checked for "private" and the other had the box checked for "public."  So I checked both boxes for each entry, and the network devices showed up right away in my list on MC29.   I don't use this laptop or MC outside of my home network, so I don't mind having both checked. 

Not sure why it created two entries, I installed MC29 only once.  I'm attaching a screenshot in case it helps anyone.

Thanks for the response, Jim. 

John
johnh
Pages: [1]   Go Up