INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature request: Option to create quick access shortcuts for folders in Explorer  (Read 1225 times)

Mount81

• Recent member

Hello!

I'm only using JRiver to play my audio files through Drives and devices->Explorer menu with browsing in the actual folders. I bet many other JRiver users do the same (for most of the time). But this can be a very inconvenient and nerve-racking thing sometimes, to open some of the desired paths all over again, if the Explorer gets totally closed for some reason (like switching to the "Playing now" view). So I guess it would make this much easier if there would be an option in the context menu, to select a desired folder and add it to something like a "quick access" menu (displayed also somewhere in the right side panel) to get instant access to it right away, rather than struggling through the path in the Explorer to get that one actually needed folder open again. Of course i'm talking about the possibility to add as many folders as desired to this menu.

Hope you get the essence of my pretension and suggestion here and could do something about to make it work alike.

Thank you!

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!

I'm only using JRiver to play my audio files through Drives and devices->Explorer menu with browsing in the actual folders. I bet many other JRiver users do the same (for most of the time).
I would be happy to take the other side of that bet. That is, I would bet virtually no JRiver users navigate Windows Explorer to find/launch their music files in MC.

If that truly is your intention, then you are entirely missing the point of using a media player. I could go on and on and explain why you should not use the workflow you describe, but that list is excruciatingly long. Suffice it to say, JRiver Media Center is an incredibly capable and customizable media player, even if you are using it only for audio, and learning to leverage its power will pay huge dividends. That power comes with a price though - it is complex and takes some effort to get the most out of it. But that is what this forum is for… To help help each other figure out how to accomplish a myriad of tasks, ranging from how to customize the interface in a specific way, to applying scripts that generate a highly customized playlist.

I suggest you check out the wiki (https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Getting_Started) and learn how to set up some basic custom views that will make navigating your music collection infinitely easier than using Windows Explorer. After you get the hang of it, you will start creating much more complex views that make finding music fun instead of a chore. If on the other hand, you are determined to figure out how to make MC essentially a launching point to make it easier find files in Windows Explorer folders, I doubt you will get many takers eager to spend time advising you on that.

marko

• MC Beta Team

If on the other hand, you are determined to figure out how to make MC essentially a launching point to make it easier find files in Windows Explorer folders, I doubt you will get many takers eager to spend time advising you on that.
I kind of agree with the entire reply. Mount81 is missing out on a lot. As for the quoted part, the only advice to offer is to check out the Navigation toolbar item. Add it to the toolbar, then add your desired locations.

Mount81

• Recent member

I kind of agree with the entire reply. Mount81 is missing out on a lot. As for the quoted part, the only advice to offer is to check out the Navigation toolbar item. Add it to the toolbar, then add your desired locations.

Regardless to answer to the critics here, that I guess also totally miss the point I have highlighted, that I guess is entirely a subjective case, in what kind of way one find the best to use and operate with this kind of software, I guess this "Favorites" option should do it more close to as I wish it to work, so thanks for the hint. But it should do much better if this Favorites menu would be also accessible (so thus much faster, easier to navigate and most importantly more transparent, due it's constant visibility) from the left side panel, not just from the "nerdy" (means, that one would use it only in the cases that are unavoidably necessary) upper Toolbar. So I would change my "Feature request" demand rather to this implementation in the case.

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen

Regardless to answer to the critics here, that I guess also totally miss the point I have highlighted, that I guess is entirely a subjective case, in what kind of way one find the best to use and operate with this kind of software, I guess this "Favorites" option should do it more close to as I wish it to work, so thanks for the hint.

JRiver MC primarily uses file tags that you then use to build view schemes: that's how the organizational/viewing part of the software is designed. Trying to do it all through Explorer is going to be slow, clunky, and ultimately frustrating.

This is what you want to explore: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Getting_Started#Organise_my_Content

Mount81

• Recent member

I have lots of audio files that don't have proper tag data inside them, so I guess this Library import option will end up with lossy results. One of the reasons why I prefer the Explorer view.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

I have lots of audio files that don't have proper tag data inside them, so I guess this Library import option will end up with lossy results. One of the reasons why I prefer the Explorer view.
If you have your audio files arranged by folder, you can use that folder structure to fill the tags.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team

Mount81 if you import some, or even all, of your existing files/folders into MC and then click on the icon next to the word "Files" in the tree (t's under audio) you will see a list of all the folders your tracks are held in. Since the only folders that will appear in the list are the one's containing your music/albums/cd's/track's it is a lot easier to navigate through than Win Explorer plus that list stays open until you choose to close it.

N.B. The only time complete/accurate metadata is necessary/essential is if and when you use that metadata as a means of navigating to, or selecting, certain tracks
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

Mount81

• Recent member

Ok, so I have done the Import of the main Music folder.

2 things to mention:

1. I have started the import in JR and that minimized it. Result-> JRiver has closed (crashed?) after a several minutes. Every time I tried to minimize it during the import process it has closed or crashed, thus not finished the import properly. So I have to start last time without minimizing it, so my computer was occupied only by this one process and I have to wait like 16 minutes to JRiver to complete.

2. The result of the Import (just the bad side of it):
36 files skipped, because of too long filename. Ok, it's just 36 files, you would say, but as I have checked in the log there are a bunch of them that I would not want to be missing. Strange how it occurs in a software like this, extra long file name handling is generally solved under Windows systems since a very long time ago now... (Using Windows 10 Pro-> with all recent updates installed). Something that need to be fixed in JR maybe?

Regardless, thank for the tipp (tho' I'm still reluctant from using any media software's library building options), but I will see how it works for my expectations in practice later...

markf2748

• MC Beta Team

36 files skipped, because of too long filename.
I wonder if checking this will help:
Options > General > Advanced > [ ] Support extra long filenames

Mount81

• Recent member

I wonder if checking this will help:
Options > General > Advanced > [ ] Support extra long filenames

It was already switched on, as by default.
Pages: [1]   Go Up