INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Passing Multichannel Music through a Multichannel Plugin to a Stereo Output?  (Read 368 times)

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen

Hi

Due to the recent popularity of Atmos music on Apple & Amazon Music, I thought I would try playing my current collection of multichannel music through a Binaural encoder into my headphones to replicate the experience in MC.

I am trying to use a 64bit VST plugin in 64bit MC29 on Windows 10.
The plugin is "Binauralizer Studio" which takes a multichannel input and converts it into a stereo binaural output.
This should allow me to listen to multichannel music on my headphones with a more natural sound field than a simple stereo fold-down.
https://www.noisemakers.fr/binauralizer-studio/

The plugin installs fine and works well when used on a physical output that has at least the same number of channels as my source file.
But this is not what I want to use the plugin for. I want to be able to play a multichannel file through the plugin to a stereo output (my headphones).
When I attempt to do this MC always throws an error saying the playback device does not have the correct number of channels to play the file and insists on folding it down to stereo before it passes it to the plugin, thereby defeating the point of the plugin.

MC will not allow me to put the plugin before the "Output Format" in DSP studio leaving me in a catch 22.

Is there a way to achieve what I am trying to do, either by placing the plugin before "Output Format" or overriding MC to allow me to pass multichannel music through "Output Format" to the plugin then onto a stereo output?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I don't believe it's possible within MC, currently output format must go first and you must have an output device with the required number of channels.
Pages: [1]   Go Up