INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Date not pulled from file's meta data on import  (Read 734 times)

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen
Date not pulled from file's meta data on import
« on: April 26, 2022, 08:40:51 am »

Just upgraded a MacBook to MC 29.0.37 and imported some photos (all good), but in this batch were also two video files (from the camera). Although the files have all information in their meta data, the date etc. is not read on import, the date field is completely empty (same for the related fields, like day, month, year).

The last import was done with MC 28 (don't know the exact version anymore), and everything worked fine back then (i.e. video files from the same camera that were previously imported, have the date etc.). I tried it several times, with different import settings, but no dice. Seems like some sort of regression.

Also, when I upgraded from MC 28, I imported the last library backup (which had thumbnails included), but although the library restore went fine, there were no (i.e. zero) thumbnails, I had to run the rebuild, which takes ages of course. Maybe I did something wrong? I was expecting to be able to carry the thumbnails from one major release to the next? Also, all my import settings were gone (some expressions to fill certain fields, like name and album). I had to basically reinvent the wheel, and this time, I'll be writing everything down (on paper, so it'll last). It would also be great, if these would carry over when switching to the next major release.

Thanks for looking into this!
END OF LINE.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Date not pulled from file's meta data on import
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 10:57:29 am »

I tried both things you mentioned.
Did a MC28 backup, when asked about thumbs, said to include them.
Restored in MC29 and the thumbs were there.

As for the camera file. I could duplicate that. All video files I imported had dates except those.
My camera files don't have tags however. I double checked them with quicktime and vlc.
The date the finder shows is the file creation and modification dates.
It doesn't appear that we have ever used those. I tried the same import back to MC27, no date.

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2022, 11:13:41 am »

Thanks bob!

So, something has gone wrong on my restore. Well, I'll just try it again with MC30 next year :-)

For the dates. Here's a screenshot of the previous imports (done with MC28 as it was definitely last year). With one example open in Finder. The dates (and time) were pulled in by MC28, I didn't go in there and populate all these fields. All I do is put in the expressions for the name and album field etc. at import.

Somehow, it must have worked. Odd.
END OF LINE.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2022, 11:41:42 am »

Thanks bob!

So, something has gone wrong on my restore. Well, I'll just try it again with MC30 next year :-)

For the dates. Here's a screenshot of the previous imports (done with MC28 as it was definitely last year). With one example open in Finder. The dates (and time) were pulled in by MC28, I didn't go in there and populate all these fields. All I do is put in the expressions for the name and album field etc. at import.

Somehow, it must have worked. Odd.
If you look at the file in VLC does it have tags?

I don't know how else it could have gotten filled in otherwise.
Maybe from a restore of a older version of MC than 27 carried forward or some sort of expression??

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2022, 12:04:50 pm »

Thanks again, bob!

Unfortunately, I don't know what other expressions there might have been, they were all gone when I upgraded to MC29, and I can't remember them anymore, as I don't like using the Mac (it's not mine but my wife's). I just set them up so I could import the photos etc. for her to use. I'll have a look at the files in VLC as soon as I can.

Maybe this might be an idea for a fallback mode during import? If there is no date & time tag, use the file's creation/modification date instead?
END OF LINE.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2022, 01:29:06 pm »

Maybe this might be an idea for a fallback mode during import? If there is no date & time tag, use the file's creation/modification date instead?
Yes, that seems like a good suggestion!
Pages: [1]   Go Up