INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade 28 to 29 didn't preserve "recent albums" sequencing  (Read 686 times)

enazarko

• Recent member
Upgrade 28 to 29 didn't preserve "recent albums" sequencing
« on: April 29, 2022, 07:13:57 pm »

First time this has happened. When I installed JR29 and opened it, the library was empty. I exited, deleted, tried installing again, and again, the library was empty when it opened. So, I let it scan... and it lost my recent albums sequencing.

Just did the 28 to 29 upgrade on my Windows server machine and it performed as usual.

Just an FYI. Makes no sense...

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Upgrade 28 to 29 didn't preserve "recent albums" sequencing
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2022, 10:47:16 am »

Hello,

MC for Mac does not migrate your library for you when you upgrade from one major version to another (like from 28 to 29).  Instead you start with a blank library, as you have seen.

The way to preserve your album order, playlists, play counts, and all of the other things that are in your library, is to backup and restore the library.  Back up the library in the previous version.  This will make a backup ZIP file.  Then do a restore library in the new version and tell it to use that backup ZIP file. 

File > Library > Backup Library  [old]
File > Library > Restore Library   [new]

I've done this dozens of times.  It's pretty straight forward once you know what to do.

Brian.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2022, 01:21:34 pm »

Or you could use the "Date Imported" field which will show your albums by recency.  Is that a word?   8)

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2022, 09:09:00 pm »

Or you could use the "Date Imported" field which will show your albums by recency.  Is that a word?   8)

In this case, that will not work.  The OP had to reimport his entire music collection all at once.  So they Date Imported field is all the same day, seconds, or minutes apart, in whatever order MC picked it up in. 

To get back the true import order, which probably happened over months or years, he needs to do a backup and restore as I outlined.  This will restore the original Date Imported field for all of his media files.

I keep my Albums view sorted by Date Imported as you suggested.  It's a nice way to view your collection.  :)

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up