INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New user -- trying to import data from iTunes backup  (Read 331 times)

Kit Crash

New user -- trying to import data from iTunes backup
« on: May 01, 2022, 02:08:44 pm »

Hi!  I'm new to JRiver and I'm trying to salvage my music library metadata -- play history, ratings, date added, playlists, etc. -- from an old iTunes library backup.  No luck.

I've tried both "iTunes Library.itl" and "iTunes Music Library.xml".  The files seem to be uncorrupted.  They are from an older version of iTunes (probably a much, much older version).

I still have most of the files and the lower level folders (artists, etc.) are unchanged, but the drive letter and the higher level folders have changed.  I was hoping to import the metadata and fix the file tree issues manually, if necessary, but I'm not sure if that's an option with JRiver.

Is my best bet installing iTunes (ugh) to update/export the library, or am I missing an easier option?

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
Re: New user -- trying to import data from iTunes backup
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 07:16:19 pm »

If the tags are written into the file itself, just importing the files into MC and then running the command "update library from tags" will create the MC library/database automagically.

That said, I don't use iTunes and thus don't know specifically how tagging works with the program. I assume from your post the tags are not written directly to the audio file, but only to the ITL and/or XML files you referenced?  If that is the case, I'm not sure if there is a way to import that, but maybe there is. There are definitely tagging experts in this forum, and perhaps my ambiguous reply will get the ball rolling and they will jump in to provide better guidance. I doubt the links below will be helpful, but I'll add them here anyway:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Fields 
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=62389.0

Pages: [1]   Go Up