INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Path reporting problems when doing DSD to PCM conversions  (Read 424 times)

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

When playing a DSD file with bitstreaming disabled, MC converts to PCM and reduces the sample rate by a factor of 8, before then resampling that according to the DSP Output settings.  DSD512 is 22.4 MHz and when reduced by a factor of 8 becomes 2.8 Mhz, which is the same as the DSD64 (1X) sample rate, although the data is PCM, not DSD.  This creates a reporting problem in Audio Path.

Audio Path reports the input file as DSD64. I think that is because when converting DSD to PCM Audio Path reports the input sample rate after the conversion to PCM, not as the one in the DSD file and, when it sees 2.8 Mhz assumes that must be DSD64 (1X).

So, my suggestions for all DSD files

Audio Path should report the Input sample rate as the true DSD value from the file, not the rate after conversion to PCM.

Audio Path should then report that it is converting from DSD to PCM and give the sample rate after the conversion by a factor of 8.

Audio Path should then report any sample rate changes specified in DSP Studio as normal.

Example

Input :  22.4 MHz 1 bit 2 channel from file DSF

Coverting 22.4 MHz DSD to 2.8 MHz PCM

Converting 2.8 MHz to 44.1 MHz using SoX.

or maybe

Input :  22.4 MHz 1 bit 2 ch from file DSF converted to 2.8 MHz PCM

Converting 2.8 MHz to 44.1 Mhz using SoX

The current reporting is confusing since it does not explicitly list the DSD to PCM conversion, and it especially confusing for DSD 512 .

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Audio Path reporting problems when doing DSD to PCM conversions
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 11:42:14 am »

I agree.  I'll try to change it for a coming build.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dtc

• MC Beta Team
Re: Audio Path reporting problems when doing DSD to PCM conversions
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 11:50:54 am »

Thanks Matt.
Pages: [1]   Go Up