INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Equalizer setting for specific DLNA renderers?  (Read 758 times)

couchjr

• World Citizen
Equalizer setting for specific DLNA renderers?
« on: May 13, 2022, 05:30:00 pm »

Apologies in advance for the basic question. I have successfully created a couple of notch filters in the DSP pane under Options/Add or Configure Servers/Advanced. These currently apply to any DLNA device that is accessing the huge JRiver library on the MC instance running on my MacMini (I have boxes checked for server, controller, and renderer for that instance).

What I want to do is have the EQ apply only to one specific rendering device (my Cambridge Audio streamer). Currently under 'Playing Now" I see Player, Streamer, and My-Mac-mini.local. I would like to set the EQ only for Streamer (are these "zones"?), since I'm refining the response of the speakers attached to that system. Can that be done? If so, can someone please point me to instructions or describe the process here?

Many thanks for any insight.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Equalizer setting for specific DLNA renderers?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 05:35:58 pm »

Apologies in advance for the basic question. I have successfully created a couple of notch filters in the DSP pane under Options/Add or Configure Servers/Advanced. These currently apply to any DLNA device that is accessing the huge JRiver library on the MC instance running on my MacMini (I have boxes checked for server, controller, and renderer for that instance).

What I want to do is have the EQ apply only to one specific rendering device (my Cambridge Audio streamer). Currently under 'Playing Now" I see Player, Streamer, and My-Mac-mini.local. I would like to set the EQ only for Streamer (are these "zones"?), since I'm refining the response of the speakers attached to that system. Can that be done? If so, can someone please point me to instructions or describe the process here?

Many thanks for any insight.
Customize the DSP settings in the DLNA server for that zone (there is only one by default but you can add as many as you want and associate them with specific zones).
You of course will need to specify an output format since the original file has to at least be decoded to wav or some such to have DSP effects applied.

couchjr

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2022, 06:14:25 pm »

Thanks for the quick response! I'm afraid I must ask you to be more detailed.

1. Do I still start by going to Add or Configure DLNA servers/Advanced/DSP Studio? Do I add a separate server for this specific renderer? I only need one server since my main system is wired and needs no DLNA or DSP, so I don't want it (is it "Player" or "My-Mac-mini.local") to use the EQ.
2. Do I have to have previously clicked on Streamer under Playing Now? (is this a zone? the word zone doesn't seem to appear on your interface and I've always been fuzzy about them).
3. Even if I first click Streamer under Playing Now, in the DSP Studio /parametric equalizer pane I see nothing about zones. How do i associate the values entered with a renderer/zone?
4. When first I click "Add" on the DLNA Servers pane, I'm offered a list of formats. I've selected Audiophile 24-bit DAC and it seems to work. Then on the DSP Studio pane if I click Output Format I get another pane with many choices. The Cambridge Audio DAC converts any DSD files to PCM so I have left Output Encoding to None, and all the Sample rates at No Change, 2 channels, no mixing, no subwoofer. The library files are all flac or dsf. I don't see a place to specify uncompressing flac files to wav - I assumed MC did that by default to send to a DAC. Is this all correct or am I missing something?
5. If this is correct, how do I associate the EQ settings with a specific renderer/zone?

Thanks!

couchjr

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2022, 09:28:08 pm »

Update:

Bob, I just saw your reply to LilyAarseth re mp3 -> to Mac as zone. Embedded therein, I think, are the answers to my questions. Please confirm that I the following right:

1. Names listed under Playing Now in the left menu ARE ZONES. If I right-click on Streamer, I get a contextual menu including, near the bottom, "Associate with DLNA server."

2. When I click to expand "Associate with DLNA server," I see "Only one server, used by default."

3. When I right click on Player (a zone) the contextual menu does not offer the option to associate with a server. I take it this means the Player zone is never a DLNA renderer, but is playing directly from the Library in MC's server.

4. If I click on DSP Studio in the contextual menu for Player, the pane shows no values entered in the parametric EQ. If I select Options/Add or Configure DLNA Servers/Advanced/DSP Studio, it shows my notch filters in place.

5. Therefore I deduce that this is exactly the setup I want: My main wired system (Player zone) ignores DLNA altogether, and my DLNA renderer (Streamer zone) uses the DSP settings associated with the default DLNA server. If I wanted a different renderer to use different settings, I would first create a second new DLNA server, configure the DSP settings under Advanced, and then go to the left menu, right-click, and associate the new renderer (zone) with the second server. Do I have this right?

I don't see a way to name each new server; they seem to take the name of the DLNA type/format, so their list entries can be redundant. This would make it challenging to keep straight which server configuration went with which zone if multiple servers had the same "name" (type/format) in the list of servers. Maybe you could add a "rename" item to the contextual menu when you right-click a server in the list?

Thanks!

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 10:03:17 am »

Update:

Bob, I just saw your reply to LilyAarseth re mp3 -> to Mac as zone. Embedded therein, I think, are the answers to my questions. Please confirm that I the following right:

1. Names listed under Playing Now in the left menu ARE ZONES. If I right-click on Streamer, I get a contextual menu including, near the bottom, "Associate with DLNA server."

2. When I click to expand "Associate with DLNA server," I see "Only one server, used by default."

3. When I right click on Player (a zone) the contextual menu does not offer the option to associate with a server. I take it this means the Player zone is never a DLNA renderer, but is playing directly from the Library in MC's server.

4. If I click on DSP Studio in the contextual menu for Player, the pane shows no values entered in the parametric EQ. If I select Options/Add or Configure DLNA Servers/Advanced/DSP Studio, it shows my notch filters in place.

5. Therefore I deduce that this is exactly the setup I want: My main wired system (Player zone) ignores DLNA altogether, and my DLNA renderer (Streamer zone) uses the DSP settings associated with the default DLNA server. If I wanted a different renderer to use different settings, I would first create a second new DLNA server, configure the DSP settings under Advanced, and then go to the left menu, right-click, and associate the new renderer (zone) with the second server. Do I have this right?

I don't see a way to name each new server; they seem to take the name of the DLNA type/format, so their list entries can be redundant. This would make it challenging to keep straight which server configuration went with which zone if multiple servers had the same "name" (type/format) in the list of servers. Maybe you could add a "rename" item to the contextual menu when you right-click a server in the list?

Thanks!
All correct except for the naming.
The name of the DLNA server can be changed by clicking on it in the Display Name field.

couchjr

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2022, 07:01:08 pm »

Thanks, Bob!

You think by now I'd know, when in doubt, to click and right-click to see what happens.

Pages: [1]   Go Up