INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Red October madvr - Quality Setting  (Read 889 times)

murray

• Citizen of the Universe
Red October madvr - Quality Setting
« on: May 12, 2022, 05:36:01 pm »

I never remember seeing this setting in MC26, or if it was there I think it behaved differently.

I use madvr with my JVC NX9 projector and 1080Ti card. One day I set it to Best Quality and in doing so I wiped all my madvr settings, it was mammoth re setting them as mine are quite complex. I never remember this in MC26. Currently I now have it set to nothing, is nothing the default setting of Balanced? Using the 1080Ti card should I have it on balanced or best quality?

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: Red October madvr - Quality Setting
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2022, 05:38:38 pm »

Its not a "setting", it loads a preset of settings for madVR and entirely overrides your madVR settings - hence the confirmation dialog. If you already have madVR settings configured, all it will do is wipe them and load one of the three defaults.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2022, 05:49:26 pm »

Murray, these default profiles are not for you (or other users who manually customise madVR settings for their rig).  They were introduced a few years ago to give users an easy way to select a range of settings that would work "out of the box" with a range of GPUs starting from an iGPU (without needing an Advanced Diploma in madVR).  They work well and opened up even the very low end iGPU.
JRiver CEO Elect

murray

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2022, 05:51:46 pm »

Murray, these default profiles are not for you (or other users who manually customise madVR settings for their rig).  They were introduced a few years ago to give users an easy way to select a range of settings that would work "out of the box" with a range of GPUs starting from an iGPU (without needing an Advanced Diploma in madVR).  They work well and opened up even the very low end iGPU.
Yes I discovered that and wiped everything, I do think the dialog box should warn and explain all that a bit better.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2022, 05:58:15 pm »

"will reset your madVR settings" seems quite explicit to me, and the fact that a box even pops up should make one think, I would say.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 06:01:23 pm »

That conformation box reads pretty well for me, but if you have a suggestion for better wording then post away (as I know what a PITA it is to have to redo all those settings). :)
JRiver CEO Elect

murray

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2022, 06:03:18 pm »

Ok if you think its good as it is no problem, I say no more!

This is clearer to me.

Its not a "setting", it loads a preset of settings for madVR and entirely overrides your madVR settings - hence the confirmation dialog. If you already have madVR settings configured, all it will do is wipe them and load one of the three defaults.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 06:24:09 pm »

How about:

"Changing the madVR quality settings will entirely replace any madVR settings.  If you have already configured madVR, these setting will be lost and can not be automatically restored.  Are you sure?". 
JRiver CEO Elect

murray

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2022, 06:48:38 pm »

How about:

"Changing the madVR quality settings will entirely replace any madVR settings.  If you have already configured madVR, these setting will be lost and can not be automatically restored.  Are you sure?".

If the 1st page had something like this I wouldn’t have wiped all my very complex madvr settings.

Three pre-set Quality Settings for madvr Beginners.

murray

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2022, 06:51:10 pm »

How about:

Bingo this is good and clear but I would slightly change it to this:

"Changing the madVR quality settings will entirely replace any SAVED madVR settings.  If you have already configured madVR, YOUR settings will be lost and can not be automatically restored.  Are you sure?".

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2022, 02:57:55 am »

The longer the text, the higher the probability of people clicking it without really reading. Users are so used to confirmation dialogs that they rarely read them until it's too late.
Make sure to backup your MadVR settings if they're important to you. It's a file called "settings.bin" in the MadVR folder: %appdata%\J River\Media Center 29\Plugins\madvr\

murray

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2022, 03:19:23 am »

The longer the text, the higher the probability of people clicking it without really reading. Users are so used to confirmation dialogs that they rarely read them until it's too late.
Make sure to backup your MadVR settings if they're important to you. It's a file called "settings.bin" in the MadVR folder: %appdata%\J River\Media Center 29\Plugins\madvr\
I have all my madvr settings backed up now, I learnt by experience here loosing everything!

w_axlrose1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2022, 04:30:14 am »

"will reset your madVR settings" seems quite explicit to me, and the fact that a box even pops up should make one think, I would say.

Agreed. It's as short and to the point as a "Are you sure you want to delete these files?" dialogue box.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2022, 06:46:10 am »

The longer the text, the higher the probability of people clicking it without really reading.
Definitely true.

Also true.

I have all my madvr settings backed up now ...
Good idea.
Pages: [1]   Go Up