INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to optimize sound when listening with headphones  (Read 1048 times)

tedh

• Recent member
How to optimize sound when listening with headphones
« on: May 22, 2022, 09:06:54 pm »

I am a rank beginner.

I have MediaCenter 29 and I listen to music on my Dell XPS 15 notebook with Sony WH-1000X-M3 noise cancelling headphones.

I am noticing that on some CD recordings which have been ripped into flac format that the left-right spatial separation on the headphones is so pronounced that it is uncomfortable to listen to. I think that I need to implement "crossfeed" in order to reduce the separation.

I have tried searching the Wiki user manual and this forum for information but I am getting stuck on all of the specialized language.

I would appreciate any advise regarding the best way to get a basic education on how to utilize MediaCenter 29 to control sound playback?

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Looking Busy
Re: How to optimize sound when listening with headphones
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2022, 09:43:31 pm »

The signal processing you're after is all done in the MC DSP Studio: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DSP

In MC, if you go to Tools -> Options -> Audio -> Settings -> DSP & output format, you'll find all the DSP tools and config options including headphone crossfeed. I would have a read of the Wiki and try a few of the settings in DSP Studio to see what suits you best.

hifi-fan

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 09:53:16 pm »

Thanks for the advice Scobie!

I need to rank myself as (sub)beginner, but can learn fast!  :)   I found the insights on DSP/Headphones quite insightful, especially the post on Crossed and Headphone Imaging!  I have been listening to music over headphones for over 30 years and not until now I realize of this hearing dynamic.

Another basic question, as I have been researching for about 30 minutes and can't find the answer.  I noticed that some colleagues mention that they expect playback to be X and it is Y, like for instance CD quality versus mp3.   Once you hit play on a track, how do you know how that track is being played?  Meaning the audio format? 

Thanks again for your help, this forum is AWESOME!

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 03:20:26 pm »

If I'm understanding what you're asking, it's not "how the file is being played," but what kind of file it is, i.e., if you have an mp3 file extension, when you hit play, you're playing an mp3 and likewise for flac, ape, aac, whatever you have.

The main distinction you're after, I think, is between lossy and lossless files. Early digital music (say from iTunes) was all encoded in lossy formats to save space. aac was Apple's goto, though other sites used mp3, which is also lossy (or current Spotify which uses ogg vorbis). What "lossy" basically means is that something has been removed from the file to make it smaller (and thus make it not quite CD quality), but that something is supposedly inaudible, especially at high bit rates, e.g., an mp3 with a bitrate of 320 kbps is supposedly sonically indiscinct from a lossless (CD quality) file. However, many claim to be able to hear the difference in blind tests, and of course, the better your equipment, the greater the chance you might hear a difference. Whether that matters to you or not is another matter.

When you rip a CD in MC or elsewhere, you can choose an encoder: a lossy one like mp3 or ogg vorbis or a lossless one like flac, alac, or ape. I think the majority of users on here rip their primary version losslessly and then when they want a lossy version for portability on a phone or thumb drive, they make a second version of the file through a conversion to a lossy format for space. Obviously, these days one can also buy a lot more lossless files online at places like Qobuz or Apple Music and even get hi-res lossless, which is a topic for another day.

There are more technical ways to talk about lossy vs. lossless, but that's the basic difference.

hifi-fan

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2022, 06:42:45 pm »

Thank you so much for the detailed answer timewtheov!

If I follow your lead, the audio quality of a song is a direct result of its format (hi-res, CD, mp3, etc.) which in turn is the result of the type of file created at the time of ripping or recording it (mp3, flac, wav, etc).  That said, I remember some threads where the question of reproduction was raised and I believe it had to do with some settings inside MC that were responsible for the type of playback.  For instance, somebody reported that when trying to play a hi-res file (say .wav 24/96) the system (PC + MC settings) were playing it as mp3, despite the fact that the file was hi-res.  I remember something related to the WASAPI encoder (??).  I got the impression that some higher power settings were taking over and forcing the MC output format to a predefined type regardless of the song file type.  I maybe off by a mile, but this is what I remember. 

If that is the case, say a file type being played with a different output format, my question was, how to confirm if the playback of a certain file type is the one coming out the USB port and into the DAC?  I hope I have not confused you with my logic! :).  I have some hi-res albums (24/96) and I would like to make sure that when I play them in MC they come out as 24/96 and not in any other (lower quality) format.

Thank you again!

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2022, 12:17:34 am »

Those threads could have been referring to a couple of different things:

--DLNA transcoding, which is when you have Media Network enabled in Options and are streaming your audio files from your MC server over a network. Depending on how robust the latter is, you might need to transcode a file on and with your server to a smaller, more manageable size for network transport, and a common transcoding codec is mp3.

--DSP playback, which is a whole other topic (maybe look at the wiki for more information overall). There you can upsample/resample files (under "Output Format" in the DSP Studio dialogue), e.g., changing 24/96 flac to 24/48; I don't recall there being an mp3/lossy option in the DSP studio, but maybe there is. At any rate, this is useful if you have playback equipment limitations. For example, my Marantz AVR can't play anything above 24/192 via HDMI, so if I play one of my DSD dsf files I have to resample to 192 or 176.4 hz.

That's all I can think of regarding those other threads.

[Edit: forgot Scobie had posted a link to the DSP wiki and that your original question had to do with DSP functionality.]

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2022, 08:44:23 am »

You will probably be interested to see the "Audio Path" that MC can display, showing almost everything related to playback quality, processing, sample rate, etc.

Player > Audio Path

Or hover over the little icon up top, under the search box, to the right of the shuffle icon.  Depending on the skin you use, it might be different icons.  Just hover over the three that are near the search box and you'll find the right one.

Brian.

hifi-fan

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2022, 07:40:50 pm »

Thank you so much folks!!! I have enough to practice and play around.  I really appreciate all the time and effort in responding.  You guys are the BEST!

Adrian
Pages: [1]   Go Up